Buckle up for safety!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I have noticed what appears to be an huge lack of seatbelt use among construction trades. I am guessing the mentality is "This is a big commercial vehicle. I can't get injured." Or "If I get injured I can get on disability and not have to work."

Then again, I live in an area with low seat belt usage anyway, so that might be it.

I'm pretty sure the laws of physics don't exempt large vehicles. :roll:

Edit: lousy spelling

[ July 31, 2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

bphgravity

Re: Buckle up for safety!

I think statistically, an electrician is more likely to be killed on the way to and from work than they are from hazards on the job. :eek:

iwire

Staff member

Peter one of the many rules we have to sign to when issued a company truck is the use of seat belts.

I have been in two accidents with my work truck and both times I am sure I would have been injured had I not been wearing my seat belt.

I'm pretty sure the laws of physics don't exempt large vehicles.
Well actually they do if the difference in size is large enough.

The driver of a cement truck is not really going to need a seat belt as he turns a Neon into a speed bump. :p

mdshunk

Originally posted by peter d:
Then again, I live in an area with low seat belt usage anyway, so that might be it.
Perhaps. I can't really think of a tradesman that I know personally that doesn't wear his seat belt. I sort of grew up in the "buckle up" generation anyhow, so seat belt usage is automatic. I test drove an old 50's pickup I was considering buying to restore. I felt naked without a seat belt.

jimwalker

Florida is tough on no seat belts.I started using them about 10 years ago.Was at the point of teaching our sons to drive.Setting a good example has worked.Besides should one get in a wreck workers compensation might not pay if you did not wear.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

In Washington State, they can stop you for no other reason than not wearing a seat belt. They do not have to first stop you for speeding, and then take notice of the missing seat belt. I believe the fine is $101. Oregon has a similar law, and a comparable fine.

peter d

Unfortunately, in this area the police cannot pull someone over for not wearing a seatbelt. Writing someone up for it has to be a "supplemental violation" to speeding, light out, expired plate, etc.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by peter d:
Unfortunately, in this area the police cannot pull someone over for not wearing a seatbelt. Writing someone up for it has to be a "supplemental violation" to speeding, light out, expired plate, etc.
Pete that is a good thing IMO, as much as I, my wife, my kids, and friends choose to wear a seatbelt it angers me that the Government is forcing us to comply.

Here in MA the voters said no a couple of times to the seat belt law, then it made it through on the pretense it would be 'secondary' enforcement.

Well what a surprise it was just changed to primary enforcement. :( :roll: :mad:

jimwalker

It started in the late 60's to make them put seat belts in.Took them about 30 years to force us to use them.I was one of them that cut the dang things out.I would not think of not using them now.But that should have been my choice not a law.
And Bob they have attacked smokers here.Almost no public place permits it anymore.Just another fine law.

[ August 01, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

hurk27

Here in Indiana it's primary enforced but pickups and local commercial are not required to use them. It was a thing about delivery and service trucks making many stops having to buckle and unbuckle. :roll:

[ August 02, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

coppertreeelectric

In NY you also can get pulled over for not wearing a seat belt. The law is heavely enforced and if a cop see's you without a belt you will get a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.