Building a cabinet for Class 1 Div 2 with rated components

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoveldr

New User
One of our vendors recently released a Class 1 Div 2 rated version of the instrumentation they sell, which is great for us no more dealing with barriers. The problem is they sell a nice prewired enclosure for non-rated areas, but not for Class 1 Div 2. So we are doing the enclosure.

From what I've read in the NEC and various websites, if everything installed in the cabinet is rated or appropriate for the environment (can't use our normal glass fuses) we can just use standard wiring in a standard cabinet and meet the requirements. While that makes sense to me, I wanted to verify that is correct.

It will have 120V coming in to a Stahl breaker to a Phoenix contact 24V power supply, through a fuse block to the rated rack mount processor which will have rated sensors attached to it; all mounted in a Hoffman NEMA 4x enclosure.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You seem to have a good handle generally. I suggest you spend some time studying NEC Section 500.8 and all of NEC Article 501, Part III [Sections 501.100 through 501.150] Some subsections will be of more interest, but all of it is worth the study. [See Section 500.8(C)(6)(a) for example]

I would pay particular attention to that Stahl circuit breaker.

In Division 2, you might be surprised about the glass fuses. You still need to be careful with them, but, installed properly, they may be acceptable in your application.

Last but far from least, FedOSHA and most State OSHAs, would want to see the entire panel assembly NRTL certified.

Status
Not open for further replies.