Building Addition Grounding 250.50[2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

In 250.50[2] Metal Frame of the Building or Structure for a grounding electrode system is every column of the building required to meet one of the three requirements? For example I am working on a project with a building addition [no ground ring / counterpoise was indicated], the drawings indicated to provide grounding "as required" so to meet 250.52[2] using [2] Connecting to the reinforcing bars would it be require to provide this connection at each metal frame [column] through the building? And if the 20' of bare copper is used is it acceptable to "coil" this up at the bottom of the footing / foundation [as one of the typical detail indicates it this way]?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My opinion.

No additional grounding required. It is an addition to an existing building so the existing GES is adequate because it is the same structure.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
In 250.50[2] Metal Frame of the Building or Structure for a grounding electrode system is every column of the building required to meet one of the three requirements? For example I am working on a project with a building addition [no ground ring / counterpoise was indicated], the drawings indicated to provide grounding "as required" so to meet 250.52[2] using [2] Connecting to the reinforcing bars would it be require to provide this connection at each metal frame [column] through the building? And if the 20' of bare copper is used is it acceptable to "coil" this up at the bottom of the footing / foundation [as one of the typical detail indicates it this way]?

250.52(A)
(4) Ground Ring. A ground ring encircling the building or structure, in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller than 2 AWG.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
so to meet 250.52[2] using [2] Connecting to the reinforcing bars would it be require to provide this connection at each metal frame [column] through the building?
No. Only one connection to one qualifying CCE is required if more than one are present, 250.52(3).
And if the 20' of bare copper is used is it acceptable to "coil" this up at the bottom of the footing / foundation [as one of the typical detail indicates it this way]?
I think the intent of the code is to have twenty linear feet of copper or rebar. The present wording says you can make whatever shape you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.