Building Automation Controls Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatcobra

I am a journeyman electrician in the field and am a member of the IBEW.

I am looking to specialize in building automation controls and am wondering what my best options are as far as education on building automation controls.

Specifically I am looking for information regarding schools, time frame and cost.

Any guidance to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

NFPA and IBC sections for Automation Control Systems

NFPA and IBC sections for Automation Control Systems

I haven't worked much with automation controls but know I have come across literature on them before.

NFPA92-2012, Sections 6.4-6.5
IBC 2012, section 909

Source: NFPA

I've seen other material in the NEC 700 as well, though I think they pertained mostly to emergency exit signs and lights. Hope this helped a little!

Aaron
:dunce:

Last edited by a moderator:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Wasn't too long ago (last summer?), our local JATC recruited journeyman members for a regional class on buiding automation. I think there was even a stipend involved for completing the class. I don't recall for certain, but lodging may have even been covered.

Suggest you contact your local JATC administrator...

gar

Occupation
EE
130503-1507 EDT

fatcobra:

Try contacting Gary Polulak at http://www.ibewlocal58.org/Local-Union-Directory.id.15.htm .

ELECTRICAL INDUSTRY TRAINING CENTER
Gary Polulak - Director
Phone: (586) 751-6600
Fax: (586) 751-6699
2277 E 11 Mile Rd Ste 1
Warren, MI 48092-3500​

Gary might know of some places in you area. I don't know him, but I attended a conference at their facility and it looks like they have a very complete overall program. They are doing some training in your interest area and are applying new techniques in their own very nice facility. Very knowledgeable people.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... They are doing some training in your interest area and are applying new techniques in their own very nice facility. Very knowledgeable people.

That's were I took a prep course and tested for my EPRI Part B Instrumentation & Control Cert. Yes, a very nice facility, and of those I interacted with, very knowledgeable.

But I still recommend contacting the local JATC administrator. My local JATC paid for the course I took.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.