Building Automation safety issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmyns

I work at a large college repairing & maintaining energy management/building automation systems.I am a licensed electrician.Our union has a safety committee which meets once a month about safety concerns,policy etc.One of the areas I have brought up is the starting of mechanical systems remotely through our computer front end.I have requested that we label every piece of equipment that can be started "remotely".I know that lock out tag out should be used but also know that with so many workers and outside contractors this doesn't always happen.We are also suppose to notify the operators monitoring our front end(24 hr/365).Again this doesn't always happen.The college is very opposed to this.What do others think?I have checked the NEC to see if there was anything about this and can't seem to find anything on this,maybe I'm missing something??Anyways any suggestions :cool: :confused: would be helpful.Thanks,Carmyn

Nick

Re: Building Automation safety issue

I don?t think the NEC is the document you need. This would more likely fall under an OSHA standard. If your employer has established a LOTO program (which they are required to do) and it is not being followed, I think that this is a bigger issue than labeling the equipment. The LOTO procedures must be strictly enforced or you employer can face fines. In regards to your specific question you might brows the link below. You may find the info you need.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/lototraining/tutorial/tu-overvw.htm

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If the equipment has motors and is a new installation, 430.102(B) under the 2002 code requires a "within sight" disconnect for the motor. The exception that did permit a remote lockable disconnect in the '99 code has been tightened up. Under the '99 code the remote lockable disconnect was permitted in you application, but is not permitted under the 2002 code.
don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The code issue here would be the installation of the proper disconnect means per 250.102.
Several manufacturers have lables stating "caution this equipment starts automatically". The NEC is only concerned with the disconnecting means, and I would suggest you review NFPA 70E electrical safety requirements for employee workplaces.

sjaniga

Ask your superiors if there are any walk throughs from your liability Insurance carrier, a few years ago we wired a paint line that snaked through 50,000 sq/ft of building, we wired it with 15 remote start/stop stations, six months later we were installing a plc voice warning system that would announce when the line was about to start and have a five second delay, also when someone stopped the line it was announced from what department, this was all done because of liability premiums. The install was paid for in 1.5 years of what the increase would have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.