Building Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me how the (people) capacity of a bldg is figured,may be different in all states.the fire marshall does this in Delaware.I'm talking about places of assembly NEC 518. Thanks

websparky

Re: Building Capacity

NFPA 101, Life Safety Code:
12.1.7 Occupant Load.
12.1.7.1 The occupant load, in number of persons for whom means of egress and other provisions are required, shall be determined on the basis of the occupant load factors of Table 7.3.1.2 [shown here as commentary Table 5.4] that are characteristic of the use of the space or shall be determined as the maximum probable population of the space under consideration, whichever is greater. In areas not in excess of 10,000 ft2 (930 m2), the occupant load shall not exceed one person in 5 ft2 (0.46 m2); in areas in excess of 10,000 ft2 (930 m2), the occupant load shall not exceed one person in 7 ft2 (0.65 m2).
7.3.1 Occupant Load.
7.3.1.1 The total capacity of the means of egress for any story, balcony, tier, or other occupied space shall be sufficient for the occupant load thereof.
7.3.1.2* The occupant load in any building or portion thereof shall be not less than the number of persons determined by dividing the floor area assigned to that use by the occupant load factor for that use as specified in Table 7.3.1.2. Where both gross and net area figures are given for the same occupancy, calculations shall be made by applying the gross area figure to the gross area of the portion of the building devoted to the use for which the gross area figure is specified and by applying the net area figure to the net area of the use for which the net area figure is specified.

hbendillo

Re: Building Capacity

I would look at the applicable building code too. We use the International Buidling Code in South Carolina now as do a lot of states. Building Codes are usually the reference for occupancy ratings rather than the Life Safety Code or at least the more stringent will apply. I think the occupancy requirements of the Building Codes line up with the Life Safety Code pretty well but I would take a look if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.