Built in cabinets and 210.52 required dwelling unit receptacle outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I asked him to tell us. We have no way of knowing what use the counters have.

The one cabinet in the dining room was countertop height with a built in wine cooler but as far as function as a "countertop" with respect to 210.52 [C] or a "fixed cabinet top" as is excluded in 210.52 [A] {2} (1), my guess was the cabinet top would be used as a countertop - where you would leave an open bottle of wine or carafe. I guess I am hung up on definitions but that can make a significant amount of difference in bids.

I am fine with the cabinet in the basement {also at countertop height} being just a "cabinet top", it is just from experience I know if the issue is a gray area there will be different opinions. I could not find a definition of "countertop" in the NEC

Yep, my 12" measurement was from the "12" or larger width of countertop & the 24" would apply :ashamed1:

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The one cabinet in the dining room was countertop height with a built in wine cooler but as far as function as a "countertop" with respect to 210.52 [C] or a "fixed cabinet top" as is excluded in 210.52 [A] {2} (1), my guess was the cabinet top would be used as a countertop - where you would leave an open bottle of wine or carafe. I guess I am hung up on definitions but that can make a significant amount of difference in bids.

I am fine with the cabinet in the basement {also at countertop height} being just a "cabinet top", it is just from experience I know if the issue is a gray area there will be different opinions. I could not find a definition of "countertop" in the NEC

Yep, my 12" measurement was from the "12" or larger width of countertop & the 24" would apply :ashamed1:

Thanks for the responses!

Sounds like you have it.

kwired

Electron manager
This is why I asked him to tell us. We have no way of knowing what use the counters have.

(C) Countertops. In kitchens, pantries, breakfast rooms,
dining rooms, and similar areas of dwelling units
, receptacle
outlets for countertop spaces shall be installed in accordance
with 210.52(C)(1) through (C)(5).

I sometimes do forget about the pantries, breakfast rooms, dining rooms, and similar areas part of that, as I hardly ever run into a countertop in any of those areas besides a kitchen, but when I do run into one I am usually installing those receptacles without even thinking about whether they are required or not, the occupants are just going to want them sometime down the road.

mwm1752

I sometimes do forget about the pantries, breakfast rooms, dining rooms, and similar areas part of that, as I hardly ever run into a countertop in any of those areas besides a kitchen, but when I do run into one I am usually installing those receptacles without even thinking about whether they are required or not, the occupants are just going to want them sometime down the road.
Not sure how a game room is a similar area as rooms designated for eating and food prep. Wet bar in a game room could possibly have considerations for general receipts under 5'6". Wet bar in a similar area definitely yes as per kitchen counters. I really have not seen an EC not install ample amounts of receipts in a wet bar area.

Status
Not open for further replies.