Bulk diesel tank facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscoinak

New User
Occupation
Electrician
We were called in to fix a high level tank alarm on 5 large diesel tanks (2 million gallons total). It never worked right.
Lots of problems including IS wiring
Mixed with 120v wiring.
They have 4, 1 inch RMCs from the high level control box to the tanks and then tank to tank. They installed seal offs outside the classified area , but none at the tank where conduits come up out of ground. We are adding seal offs, and installing new EP fittings to the T s and LBs. They used form 7 Ts and Lbs everywhere, which i believe is not code compliant bc they arent listed as C1 D1 or D2. This means 1200ft of Rmc needs to be pulled apart and refitted...they didnt use anything on their threads as well. There is one circuit 120v for 2 leds on 3 of the tanks.
That wire needs upsized as it is
If I am out of line please let me know, about the use of form 7 LBs and Ts on these tanks.

The customer may clean these out and store other petroleum fuels in these as well.

We really dont have anyone at our shop that has done much of this work. Also they have no drawings or anything for this job, just that they need these to work properly. Being a large petroleum distributor I would think they would have an engineer or someone for these types of build projects. They paid 150k for their non working high level alarms. And this wasn't inspected by city.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
someone in the forum will almost certainly tell you that diesel rarely creates a hazardous location. See NFPA 497 Table 4.4.2 and find diesel isn't even listed.

For the purposes of your discussion, Form 7 conduit bodies are just fine in Class I, Division 2 locations. See Section 501.10 (B)(4). Division 1 would require fittings identified for Division 1. [Section 501.10(A)(3)]

Other fuels could lead to classified locations.

Uh

Status
Not open for further replies.