Buried Rigid conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
Can any one tell if there is any sealant used when buried rigid conduit ,what the code said about burying rigid conduit is it number of threads requirements

Last edited:

oldsparky52

344.10 for uses permitted, 300.6 should make you use something on the field cut threads. This product meets that requirement. The only place I remember the number of threads being mentioned is in the explosion proof work. No matter what the connections need to be wrench tight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where does it say that RMC has to be wrench tight? If you spin on an elbow and it only turns 3/4 of the way you'll back it off that 3/4 of a turn.

oldsparky52

Where does it say that RMC has to be wrench tight? If you spin on an elbow and it only turns 3/4 of the way you'll back it off that 3/4 of a turn.
250.92(B)(2)
314.23(E) & (F) & Exception (2)(f) & (H)(2) (Googled this), but this is not your point. :)

I guess I stand corrected (thanks), it's an old habit from doing x-proof work, everything had to be wrench tight to insure a good ground connection on conduits.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you spin on an elbow and it only turns 3/4 of the way you'll back it off that 3/4 of a turn.
That's why I usually wait until my run is assembled and I'm screwing the elbow on before tightening everything. As I rotate the elbow, the loosest joint in the run will rotate, and all of the joints will eventually be tightened to the same degree.

Once I get to the point I believe I can not get another whole rotation, I stop at the correct position of the elbow. The result is that all joint are equally tight and, more importantly, I will not have to loosen any joint after I have tightened them.

Status
Not open for further replies.