Burn Danger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a building inspector who relies on third-party electrical inspectors. Recently, the local utility called and said they would not hook up a replacement service even though they had a signed inspection OK saying the new meter, new panel, and new service wire were ready. I went to look and found that the home owner had installed the meter (on a pole in his backyard that was OK'd by the utility) but not run the service wire up the pole and terminated such with a weatherhead; that is the reason the utility company wouldn't hook up because they felt put out that they were expected to do the weatherhead, etc., which is reason enough not to hook up, but I found even more problems. I saw two underground-rated wires coming up the pole without being protected and into the new 2-breaker (branch) 1-main-breaker box NEMA 3R. One wire was 10 gage 3-wire with ground, and the other 12-gage 2-wire with ground. The main breaker location had a 30-amp two-pole common-trip breaker. One of the branch breaker locations had a 20-amp one-pole breaker. I opened the panel to find that the meter had been wired directly to the large lugs that are shown on the box wiring diagram to be used for a sub-panel feed that would still be protected by the main; the diagram showed that the wires from the meter were to go into the main breaker, not to the bus. Instead, out of the "main" breaker I found the 10-gage wire connected, an apparent branch feed 120/240 VAC. The "branch" breaker had the 12-gage connected, an apparent branch feed 120 VAC. Questions: 1) Do you agree that I was lucky the utility company had refused for whatever reasons to hook this up? 2) Since the bus had no main disconnect, what kind of spark could someone have expected had he/she thought they had a non-live bus by turning off the breaker in the "main" position and then stuck a screwdriver inside? 3) The inspector said he signed off on the hookup because he thought the owner understood what he was supposed to do and that it was the inspector's idea to remove the 100-amp main breaker that came with the panel and replace it with the 30-amp breaker -- any opinions on this? 4) How should I prevent such potentially dangerous screwups in the future, or am I overly sensitive to the possible dangers, mis-leading inspection sign-off, etc.? Thanks!

wbalsam1

buildingellicott said:
............... 4) How should I prevent such potentially dangerous screwups in the future, or am I overly sensitive to the possible dangers, mis-leading inspection sign-off, etc.? Thanks!

As the Authority Having Jurisdiction having been duly appointed by the elected officials of your governmental entity, you could insist that the town fathers adopt an administrative decision requiring a demonstration of competence for third-party inspectors working within your township. You create the preconditions, such as ICC or IAEI make available with their national inspection certifications. You may want to require evidence of successful testing of "One- and Two-Family Dwelling", "Electrical General" and "Plan Review" as well as competence in any local electrical ordinances you may have.
As you know, you have a duty and a legal obligation as a building inspector, to uphold the code and any arrangement you make with third-party inspectors cannot usurp or lessen such responsibility. A good way to protect yourself and your community against a rising stock of substandard buildings within your town limits, is to require such testing. Many communities are creating their own electrical inspection divisions and hiring competent government employees to staff them.:)

Thank you, but ...

Thank you, but ...

The subject inspector would ace all tests. Except, that he/she might accept that non-inspection inspections (remote phone discussions, etc.) are OK. I agree with all you said, but this one has some wrinkles that still puzzle me.

wbalsam1

buildingellicott said:
The subject inspector would ace all tests. Except, that he/she might accept that non-inspection inspections (remote phone discussions, etc.) are OK. I agree with all you said, but this one has some wrinkles that still puzzle me.

Kinda reminds me of that old saying "You can't legislate morality"....:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.