Burn marks on conduits

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I know it should really not get scorched I use a hotbend that is listed for bending conduit.

I scorched a little section for some xhhw wire for a feeder. Inspector made a comment.
So I got to thinking since this is a complete run it’s considered a raceway.
What about if I had them cut in half and wire spliced in man hole or even just direct buried since cables rated for that. That makes this nothing but a sleve so then do scorch marks matter???
Normally I don’t do this but was in a rush and need to slow back down.
I polished the marks off it’s not like melted pvc

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm not sure I understand what question you are asking. Do you mean cut it in half now, cut it in half in the future if it happens again, or what? If you polished out the scorch marks and nobody's red tagging you, I wouldn't worry about it.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
He looked at my underground did not mention the pipe. If he later comes and denies me.
I was just going to pull conductors back and cut pipe and then re push them back in now it’s no longer a raceway just stub coming out of ground.
This inspector is ducking me around cause I called him out on allowing the plumber to not bond his well casing. So now he out to get me lol

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
He looked at my underground did not mention the pipe. If he later some and denies me.
I was just going to pull conductors back and cut pipe and then re push them back in now it’s no longer a raceway just stub coming out of ground.
This inspector is ducking me around cause I called him out on allowing the plumber to not bond his well casing. So now he out to get me lol
If the scorches are polished out, where's his case? "Gee boss, you must be thinking about another job site." By the way, if this was the trench inspection, isn't it going to be covered the next time he stops by?