burnt neutrals

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
20 year old cutler residential load center, no arc faults, no shared neutrals, all seven neutrals terminated on left hand buss burnt insulation, no heat coming off buss, all terminations snug, highest current under 5 amps while under observation. we suspect there had been charger of an electric vehicle through a 120V garage outlet.
theories, educated guesses?
i have to figure out how to post a 4mb picture

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
we do have lighting strikes occasionally but rarely here. there is another neutral buss in the load center with no symptoms at all. thanks for looking
i still have not figured out how to attach/upload images

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You said that you had a problem with posting photos? They would certainly help.

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
2 more pix to shrink

Attachments

• IMG_20240908_133511303_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240908_133511303_HDR.jpg
    961.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20240908_133507178_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240908_133507178_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20240908_133458378_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240908_133458378_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The two screws above the large lug have heat discoloration, even though there are no conductors.
Tight screws may mean they are cross threaded/jammed. Have you disassembled and inspected?

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
we removed and replace all the branch circuit neutral screws, none were cross-threaded. we did not touch the screws above the large lug.
i do see the discoloration you are referring to but cant understand how that would be meaningful.
also please notice the melted black plastic insulator at the bottom of the neutral buss in the first picture

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
we removed and replace all the branch circuit neutral screws, none were cross-threaded. we did not touch the screws above the large lug.
So, you do not know the quality of that neutral bar to the insulated cross bus connection.
IMO you should look at replacing that neutral bar and insulators, I believe they could be heat damaged.

retirede

Since the insulation damage is most severe nearest the neutral bus, the issue has to be poor (under torqued) connections. I suggest that someone re-tightened them before you got there.

If the issue was due to overcurrent, the insulation discoloration would be more uniform.

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
i agree that i should replace the neutral bar and insulators, but that does not address why this happened.
i do not like to just change parts . i need to know the reason and the cause.

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
Since the insulation damage is most severe nearest the neutral bus, the issues has to be poor (under torqued) connections. I suggest that someone re-tightened them before you got there.
i have pictures of this bus from 5 years ago and i am 99% certain that there has been no re-tighten prior to us.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
i agree that i should replace the neutral bar and insulators, but that does not address why this happened.
i do not like to just change parts . i need to know the reason and the cause.
I would be suspect of the main Neutral connections given all the neutral terminations on the bus in the picture had experienced some or significant melting. Add to that the melting of the bus isolator would seem to fit that the entire bus is heating at some point in time. It could even have been a utility neutral.
Are the neutral on opposite side and bus clean or show evidence of heating?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
A couple of things I would check as well:

1) The white phase conductor on the two pole breaker isn't tied to any neutral at a load or something.
2) The neutral bar itself isn't loose. There appears to be discoloration on the top of the bar. The connection between the neutral bus to the bar might be loose. Also make sure it isn't bonded to the case (unless it should be).
3) The bare grounds aren't touching the neutral bar. There can be small arcs between the neutral and grounds if they are close or lightly touching creating heat.

ciro mangione

Occupation
ej
I would be suspect of the main Neutral connections given all the neutral terminations on the bus in the picture had experienced some or significant melting. Add to that the melting of the bus isolator would seem to fit that the entire bus is heating at some point in time. It could even have been a utility neutral.
Are the neutral on opposite side and bus clean or show evidence of heating?
all of the neutral buss connections are firm. all of the right hand neutral buss terminations are in pristine conditions. there is no signs of overheating on the right hand side of the load center.
what do you mean by "It could even have been a utility neutral"?