Bus or Buss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon Loyd

Not sure if this is right forum for my question, but I was hoping someone could settle a debate for me. When refering to a "bus" bar in a piece of electrical equipment, would you spell it "bus" or "buss". I have never seen the word "buss" anywhere in the code book or anywhere else for that mater, except maybe as the name of a fuse manufacturer, but that would be a name and wouldn't count. My understanding is "busbar", not "bussbar". Neutral bus, not neutral buss. I believe when refering to "bussing", two "ss" would be correct. Can any one give me proof one way or the other?

barclayd

The word "Buss" means 'to kiss'. The electrical kind is "Bus".
Your "proof" would reside in a dictionary.
One thing that drives me batty is people who use 'loose' when they really mean 'lose'.
db

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC uses bus. Here's one of many examples:

230.75 Disconnection of Grounded Conductor.
Where the service disconnecting means does not disconnect the grounded conductor from the premises wiring, other means shall be provided for this purpose in the service equipment. A terminal or bus to which all grounded conductors can be attached by means of pressure connectors shall be permitted for this purpose. In a multisection switchboard, disconnects for the grounded conductor shall be permitted to be in any section of the switchboard, provided any such switchboard section is marked.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The word "Buss" means 'to kiss'. The electrical kind is "Bus".
Your "proof" would reside in a dictionary.
One thing that drives me batty is people who use 'loose' when they really mean 'lose'.
db

Advise when they mean advice
Decimate when they mean devastate
Irregardless in any context
Infer when they mean imply

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think buss comes from the cooper bussman brand.
Im used to seeing these interchanged however. Tomato temato:lol:

Besoeker

I post on a few forums and poor spelling abounds on all of them.
Mostly, you can get the gist of the post.
If it succeeds in doing so, why get niggled about the spelling?
What bothers me a bit though, is some of the grammar.
I've seen more than a few that have had no full stops and no capital letters. It can sometimes be a little bit of a challenge to work out the intended meaning.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I see a lot of people (some on here) that use "an" in front of words that should have "a".
The rule is if the word following starts with a vowel than use "an", if not, then use "a".
Example: I installed an panel today.:happysad: I ate an apple today.:happyyes:

Besoeker

To K8MHZ
Who and too.
How can these possibly rhyme?

Or:
Word and turd
Sew, bow
Bough, bow

To Minuteman
Your, you're, and even ewer...
Their, there, they're
Aloud, allowed

To Little Bill
It happens a lot in speech in my neck of the woods - SE England.
There is a tendency for people to drop the initial "h" on words like house, for example.
The pronunciation then becomes phonetically like "ahz"
So you get something like "He has an ahz on Main Street."
It's horrible. Maybe more so for me because I'm not from rand 'ere.

On spelling in general.
I've seen quite a few howlers.
For example ludachrus for ludicrous and apropiote for appropriate etc.

Electrical:
Moter for motor. Siemans for Siemens.

But I have an all time favourite*.
A very long time ago I had a girlfriend who was a schoolteacher. Her school was in NW London.
Of of the children wrote the word "betaters". She wasn't from around there so it took a while for it to dawn on her that it you spoke the word in the local accent it actually sounded like what the child meant.
Potatoes. Kids!!

*correct spelling for British English.

slight correction

slight correction

I see a lot of people (some on here) that use "an" in front of words that should have "a".
The rule is if the word following starts with a vowel than use "an", if not, then use "a".
Example: I installed an panel today.:happysad: I ate an apple today.:happyyes:

Actually, the rule isn't "an" if the next word starts with a vowel, it's if the next word starts with a vowel sound.

As an example, when a bystander aided a fellow citizen, it was an honorable act.

iwire

Staff member
In the world of hi-tech gadgetry more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capital letters.For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement: "Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Besoeker

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry more and more people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capital letters.For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement: "Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
Pretty good!

A slightly less rude lesson on punctuation I got from my mother:

The teacher said "The vicar is a silly ass!"
"The teacher", said the vicar, "is a silly ass!"

Status
Not open for further replies.