Busbar insulation for 480V switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

I typically require bus insulation for 480V switchgear but have certainly seen a lot of uninsulated bus. I like it mostly for personal safety/maintenance so you aren't faced with a 3200A bare bus. I'm sure it helps with arc flash and flammability as well.

I have a supplier saying it will delay their manufacturing. Has anyone come across any reasons not to require it for new gear?

ron

I typically require bus insulation for 480V switchgear but have certainly seen a lot of uninsulated bus. I like it mostly for personal safety/maintenance so you aren't faced with a 3200A bare bus. I'm sure it helps with arc flash and flammability as well.

I have a supplier saying it will delay their manufacturing. Has anyone come across any reasons not to require it for new gear?

Cost and lead time. Depending on how complicated the bussing is, they might leave the joints un-insulated anyway, so you end up with a lot of exposure anyway. The insulation might cause increased bus size due to reduced heat transfer and if the joints are insulated, then IR scanning joints requires a headache

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Is anyone going to be allowed to work on it live anyway?

I am becoming less and less of a fan of trying to insulate things to prevent people from electrocuting themselves in places they are not supposed to be in when the power is on anyway.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
The only reason I can think of for being near 3200A 480 bus is for live work such as flex CT current measurements when testing utility meter accuracy. In that case, you would have appropriate PPE on anyway, so insulation would just complicate things. Plus, you'd still have to find live bare parts to connect voltage leads to. Ditto on thermal imaging problems, too. Are there really any manufaturers who would install it even if you wanted it? I'd be surprised. If it was done later by a contractor, it would likely negate UL heat rise ratings and set up liability issues.

greenspark1

Thanks for the feedback, but it wasn't what I was expecting :)

No I would hope people aren't working on it hot, but with no way to turn off utility power I could imagine a situation where they open the main breaker and work on the downstream bus. I don't want anyone working on it hot, but would rather create as safe a situation as practical. The same way you aren't supposed to wire branch circuits hot but it is commonly done.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I typically require bus insulation for 480V switchgear ...

In all of the years I have been selling or specifying electrical equipment, I think I have purposely used 480V insulated bus only 2 or 3 times.
There are some switchgear manufacturers that use(d) insulated bus for their internal clearances but that was their choice, it was not because of my specs.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I can't fathom how many hours I have wasted on this issue over the years; Consulting EEs specifying it without having any idea why, or at best, indefensible reasoning that ends up being defended with some version of "because I've been doing that for 25 years...". The reasons for really specifying it are few, so the balance usually end up being spurious, especially now; i.e. "I don't want my guys getting killed if a wire puller gets too deep into the live gear", which means they don't have a reasonable safety procedure in place if you ask me.

The purpose of insulation on conductors is to maintain spacing not to protect from damage. In bus-ways the spacing is maintained by geometry. Thus, no need for the expense and temperature de-rating of insulation. Protection has to be provided by enclosure, guarding or spacing in any case. ( If a length 4" RMC falls on your busway the insulation is not going to help. ) Nuisance contact can be mitigated by external panels or screens at less cost. What is the cost of a bus design that you can't source? What is the true cost of a bus-way that doesn't arrive to the job-site on time?

jdsmith

A few other things to consider regarding bus insulation:

In many locations small rodents may find their way inside the switchgear. The first line of defense is keeping electrical rooms and substations tightly sealed, i.e. not leaving open holes where temporary power cords exit the substation. The second line of defense is "rodent proof" options that some manufacturers offer on their gear. This usually consists of clear plastic over the window where the connected/test/disconnected semaphore is viewed, as well as a movable cover over the holes for racking tools. The third line of defense against rodents is insulated bus.*

There has been some limited testing of insulated bus and it's affect on arcing faults. Keep in mind that none of this affects arc flash calculations per IEEE 1584, however this knowledge is used by manufacturers that produce arc resistant switchgear. When an arcing fault occurs on bare bus or bare overhead conductors the arc travels along the bus away from the largest source of fault current. In LV MCC for example, if an arcing fault starts in a bucket, sometimes it will jump back to the vertical bus, and if the bus is not insulated the arc will travel to the bottom of the vertical bus in that section and remain at the bottom until it is extinguished.

In general, insulation may restrict movement of an arc. In the case of insulated open air conductors the heating effect from the arc is concentrated in one location and tend to burn the conductors down faster than if the arc could travel along the line and spread the heat along a significant length of line.*

Some types of insulation, notably epoxy applied by the fluidized bed process, sometimes will help to extinguish an arcing fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.