Bushings on PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Are they required on PVC terminal adapters if the wire is 4 awg and larger?
I searched on here and that was a total loss.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I thought that too but then why aren't they required on smaller than #4 conductors?
I don't see the male adapters as providing protection equivalent to a bushing, so, in my opinion, 352.42 requires a bushing or other protective fitting for a PVC male adapter on matter what size conductors are in the PVC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see the male adapters as providing protection equivalent to a bushing, so, in my opinion, 352.42 requires a bushing or other protective fitting for a PVC male adapter on matter what size conductors are in the PVC.
I've heard that argument before but I've never had a problem pulling small conductors in a PVC terminal adapter and without damaging the conductor. Mike Holt agrees that they're not required for smaller than #4 conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I've heard that argument before but I've never had a problem pulling small conductors in a PVC terminal adapter and without damaging the conductor. Mike Holt agrees that they're not required for smaller than #4 conductors.
I know he says they are not needed, but I don't think that the male adapters provide the needed protection when installing the conductors.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
352.46 Bushings. Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclo‐ sure design provides equivalent protection.

IMO a terminal adapter is made with the inside edge beveled enough to prevent damage to smaller conductors.

Informational Note: See 300.4(G) for the protection of conductors 4 AWG and larger at bushings.

(G) Insulated Fittings. Where raceways contain 4 AWG or larger insulated circuit conductors, and these conductors enter a cabinet, a box, an enclosure, or a raceway, the conductors shall be protected by an identified fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors are separa‐ ted from the fitting or raceway by identified insulating material that is securely fastened in place.
Exception: Where threaded hubs or bosses that are an integral part of a cabinet, box, enclosure, or raceway provide a smoothly rounded or flared entry for conductors.
Conduit bushings constructed wholly of insulating material shall not be used to secure a fitting or raceway. The insulating fitting or insulating material shall have a temperature rating not less than the insulation temperature rating of the installed conductors.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

IMO a terminal adapter is made with the inside edge beveled enough to prevent damage to smaller conductors.

While the UL product standard requires that for listed fittings, I have never seen one that did not have a very sharp edge.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
They do make one with a rounded edge. It looks similar to an octagon shape. You can run your fingers on this type and definitely feel a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.