Business in PA, I need a mentor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfls41

This is going to be a long-winded post so bear with me and I hope I make myself clear what I am conveying.

First, about me, I used to work in industrial electricity, I traveled the country doing mechanical and electrical work on metal stamping presses, three phase, 230-460 volt circuits, etc. I recently stepped out and started my own electrician business. I did my research and discovered the State of Pennyslvania does not require a license for electricians,(or plumbers either). Some municipalities want "certification" which I have been told is earning a "career diploma" from a home study course such as Foley-Belsaw, etc. Currently, I am about half-way through my studies with Education Direct. Once a pass all the exams I will get a diploma which I will probably fax in together with my Certificate of Insurance for commercial work. I took out a full year policy of Gen Liability Insurance with $1,000,000 per occurance, $2,000,000 aggregate. I have run two ads in local papers and haven't had one single call yet. I have a yellow pages ad coming out in the phone book in April-May which I hope will get me some calls. I have done some work through word-of-mouth and haven't been impressed with the work people have done in this area. To be honest, I am surprised more houses haven't burned down or thanks to the strict UL certifications, more people would have fried using small appliances, etc... Some of the stuff I have seen is wires coming loose from screw terminals, on more than one house with the same electrician. This particular electrician has a large ad in phone book. I had one homeowner point out what the different electricians did in his house and I came away from there thinking to myself "if this is the kind of work my competition is doing, then I am going to get a good reputation when I do the job right and do it well". There is a handyman down the street who advertises "electrical, carpentry, plumbing, etc... he has an aluminum ladder on his truck, no wood or fiberglass, I suppose he probably doesn't realize alum conducts electricity, etc... so with all that said, I know where my competiton stands. I just got done doing working for a home improvement guy working on old apartment complexes installing new appliances, re-doing the outlets and switches. They aren't putting new GFI in kitchens and baths, some excuse that they were grandfathered in... the other guys he has working for him are putting 15amp cu receptacles in kitchen circuits with alum conduit on 20amp circuits. the breakers are so old that when you short out a circuit it doesn't trip the breaker, I know, I trusted one of the voltage sensor tampons on a sink disposer cable and it wasn't de-engerized like I thought and it made my dyke cutters into strippers. I am glad I am not doing anymore work in this situation because if something happens they will try and point the finger at me cause I was the electrician there, even though he had some other yo-yo's doing funky electrical work...

I have magnetic signs on my truck, professional looking, ads in the papers, business cards printed up, real estate sign in front yard of house I did some rewiring, not one lousy phone call, I have heard the excuse, its slow time of year, well electrical work can be done on the inside... etc.. its getting frustrating... Anyone care to give me some feedback? A little mentoring...

jfls41

Re: Business in PA, I need a mentor...

The below text is something I came up with to have printed on the back of my estimate/invoice. If anyone has any constructive input feel free to reply.

Jeff

NON-FIXED FEE ESTIMATE for ?OLD WORK? PROJECTS

Thank you for choosing ELLIS ELECTRIC for your electrical work. The following agreement lists the terms and conditions of this project.

My base fee for the services requested is $__________________. This includes electrical supplies and labor estimated/anticipated for this project. This fee is based upon _________ labor hours at a rate of $35.00 per hour which includes installing new wiring, removing old wires, installing boxes, receptacles, switches, lighting, breaker panels, breakers, and anticipated time to ?fish? new wiring through concealed walls, floors and ceilings.

It can be expected that ?old work? may take additional hours to complete due to unseen obstacles within walls/floors and the unserviceable condition of fixtures and devices that may need repair or replacement. At any such time additional labor hours and/or supplies are needed this will be brought to the customers attention and an explanation of the condition(s) given so the customer can make a decision as to what steps to take to complete the work. ELLIS ELECTRIC makes the assurance all work that runs additional labor hours will be itemized on the final invoice.

INSTALLMENT PAYMENT CLAUSE TO AUTHORIZE WORK
Customer agrees to pay for the electrical work in two installments and to authorize ELLIS ELECTRIC to begin work in the following manner: the initial payment in the amount of $__________________ for electrical supplies, and the remaining balance upon completion of the work and submitted by final invoice.

Customer _____________________________________ Date ____________________

Jeffrey T. Ellis __________________________________ Date ____________________

ELLIS ELECTRIC completes all work in accordance with the National Electrical Code and recommends the customer follow these guidelines for a safe electrical installation and service, regardless of additional supplies and labor that may be incurred.

bphgravity

> Go to all the local realty offices in your town and offer your services when they sell, buy, or rent a home or business. Tell them you will give them inspection reports and offer repairs at a discount.

> Do you have Chamber of Commerce in your area? They can assist you in marketing and provide sponsorship.

> Diversify your services. Offer other electrically related installations such as Cable, Telephone, Data, Audio/Video, Satellite, etc...

Good luck, I wish you the best.

active1

By not having EC requirements it makes it easy for you and everyone elce to get started. The problem is it lets unqualified people do electrical work. The result is lower prices, a lot of competition, and some poor quality work.

You might be better off fullfilling EC requirements of areas that have higher standards and working there.

Until then advertise what makes you different for the other places doing electric work. Look for jobs that a handyman can't do. You said you have experiance with metal presses and other industrial work. Maybe you can concentrate on that type of work.

Could you send out nice looking post cards, fliers, interduction letters to smaller industrial business? Keep it short. No one like a lot of junk mail. A post card is cheaper to send and they can see what it is with out opening it. Look in the phone book and send something out to everyone that is small industrial. It is more effective advertising (cost per lead) than a phone book. I would guess maintence work would pay better.

Tom

willyj

Hi All,
New to the site. Great forum for all to have.
JFLS41 welcome to the self employed world of the electrical contractor. In order to be successful you must advertise, for starters try to hook up with a plumbing contractor that you can exchange work leads with until your yellow page ad comes out. You must advertise in several books that cover the area and make them at least half page ads. Have your truck lettered, magnetic signs are too temporary. Offer 24 hour emergency service, make cleanliness part of your ad, service is a big plus, call back your customers in a couple of days to see if everything is still ok with them.
Warranty your parts, and send out post cards once a year asking your previous customers if they need any service. Good luck to you.

mach1

Don't give up. I also do electrical contracting in Pa. See lots of crude things. When I first started it was slow, tried the phone book ad. Found word of mouth was best bet. I would ask customers how they got my number, from someone else I did work for, not the book. after x years I also became frustrated with the all around person and took a full time job at a industrial plant I did work at. I started my business back up again, part time at first (few months). Now just over a year had to hire someone. If you do clean quality work your name will get around. Pick a type of work you want new or old construction. You can take a masters exam for the larger cities for there license. After more than 8 years off the road people were glad to have me doing work again. I wish you luck.

jeff43222

It's tough when you're first starting out. I was in the same boat as you, and I did all the same things you did. I was expecting things to start up more quickly than they did. I started to wonder if I would be able to keep my house.

Then things started to pick up slowly. I got some calls from my newspaper ads, friends of friends called me after my friends put the word out, a guy asked me for my card when he saw the sign on my truck, and the guy who sold me my health insurance even called me a couple weeks later asking if I could do some work on his house.

It takes a little time for the snowball effect to happen, but when it does, it makes you busy in a hurry. It wasn't too long before scheduling all my jobs became my main problem. I even began to turn down jobs I thought were more trouble than they were worth.

I can't say what worked for me would necessarily work for you. I don't live anywhere near PA. But I can say that you have to keep at it and keep trying new things to make the phone start ringing. When the phone does ring, make sure you at least give the impression that you are busy, i.e., don't offer to come right out to meet the client because you don't have anything else to do at the moment. That makes people think that you must not be very good if you aren't very busy. You don't have to lie or anything; just tell people you can come out in a day or two.

It's also important for people to be able to reach you live rather than get an answering machine. That means you carry a cell phone whenever you're open to taking calls from clients. If a potential client gets an answering machine, they're going to hang up and call the next guy. Even if I'm on a ladder drilling holes in joists, if the phone rings, I stop drilling and answer it.

iam14sure

Hang in there, according to all business forecasts the industry will improve. I did the same thing in a small town and it took years to develop the business. I worked night shift in a mill to pay the bills but the business did pick up. Be creative, if you introduce yourself to local businesses you will find work. I actually visited different contractors, kitchen re modelers etc and found alot of work. You must go get your name out and get some name recognition. Don't forget the trade shows. I actually did some work for free which opened the door to alot of work. You can do it. One other thing, some local municipalities in PA require local licenses. Where I live a masters license is required to pull permits. This is a trend we are seeing also there is talk about a State license. Be diligent, you never are never defeated till you quit!

bigjohn67

By all means get panel stickers. Put them on the service where you do work.
1. It advertises your business
2. If the customer has a problem, Phone number is right in their face.

Also, Refrig. Magnets are a great way to also advertise. Friends of customers goes to their house and see's it.

This is just 2 examples of low cost advertising, and most of all, it works while you are sleeping.

megawatt

One thing I have just tried recently, is to look in the Local Newspaper & get all of the addresses for recent property transfers.
I typed a brief letter, on Company letterhead,
congratulating them on their purchase.
Offered to help Them with any Electrical issues They may have, and inclosed a magnetic business card.
I felt at least some may get put up on the fridge to hold notes, shopping lists etc. and be used later on.
Still too early to tell if it will pay off, but for the time & money invested, it's pretty cheap advertising.

sparkster

no Liscense required, wow, glad I am no t trying to promote my level of quality work in that sort of envirorment.

jfls41

Sparkster, actually there is so much sloppy work going on that when someone does show up and does a good job, it quickly builds a good reputation and word of mouth spreads. I just did a house where three electricians had come in and none of them had properly grounded the receptacles and an upstairs hallway light had two three-way switches that didn't work at all. I took out the old armoured cable with no properly working ground and re-wired with 14/3. The owner called a neighbor and told them about me, I just finished up work at their house. So regardless of the handyman electricians who leave their trademark 2 turns of half-bare conductor on a terminal screw I intend on getting a good reputation and my business growing, despite the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.