Buss Tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an existing Federal Pacific switchboard in which I need to tap the main buss. However the A B C buss is configured back to back so I can't get to the B buss. Has anyone had this situation? Is there a way to tap/connect to the B buss without pulling the board apart?

iwire

Staff member
Ted if I was stuck with this I would be calling a switchboard company in to see if they could make some buss sections.

I think that inspectors are looking at buss taps a lot closer now then they used to. They may want some engineering information for your taps. Having a panel shop design the taps could make things go quicker with the inspector.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
Ted if I was stuck with this I would be calling a switchboard company in to see if they could make some buss sections.

I agree, call a switchboard manufacturer and see what they would do. They're likely to have experience with this old bus. They might charge a premium price however.

mdshunk

Is there a bolted splice in the buss anywhere useful? If so, you can manufacture a copper "flag" to bolt in also with longer bolts at this splice point, and tap that "flag". I did it that way one time in an old Westinghouse piece of gear, but it was a kit engineered for that purpose.

brian john

What they have gone too around here is a requirement for a 3rd party field testing service to check and test the bus flags added to the bus, write a letter.

IMO if bus flags are utilized in the same way a manufacture would perform this tap, and the bus can handle the additional load there should be no issue, but some jurisdictions freak when they see taps, no matter how much documentation you provide.

I would check with the AHJ 1st.

macmikeman

brian john said:
I have seen that done and it looks like less than a professional job.

I believe you. I have also seen a wirenut installation on #14 thhn that looked like less than a professional job. Depends on who is doing the work, and what you are used to seeing, and so forth and so on. I did however give him a possible alternate way to solve his problem, up to him and the code in case I suggested something that would not possibly fly. I think it might be the ticket for his problem.

brian john

macmikeman said:
I believe you. I have also seen a wirenut installation on #14 thhn that looked like less than a professional job. Depends on who is doing the work, and what you are used to seeing, and so forth and so on. I did however give him a possible alternate way to solve his problem, up to him and the code in case I suggested something that would not possibly fly. I think it might be the ticket for his problem.

Strictly my opinion but any splices in side switchgear, switchboards, MDP's, heck panels for that matter look cheesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.