But splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
What about splicing conductors larger than 8 AWG? Like for a feeder or even the supply conductors to the panel whether service or feeder?

Tom Jones

Years ago I took a class from a truck body builder and the subject was electrical wiring. Of course in that case it was all stranded wire but I tried out one of those types of tools and I was hooked immediately.

Not only does the ractchet ensure a full cycle of the tool, but also the mechanical ratios of the tool cause it to go into "low gear" near the end of the crimp and apply a great deal more force than you normally could with any of the regular single hinged crimpers. Also, the fact that the cavity where the crimp is made forms a box with sides as the crimp is closing in prevents the sides of the terminal from squashing out under all that force.

After learning how it should be done, I even broke one jaw off a good quality single hinge crimper attempting to replicate the same force by hand.

Here is a catalog page that has some of them:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/waytek/catalog226/#/51/OnePage

Some of the cheaper style are there too. The ones I bought were Tyco/AMP and much cheaper, however, I wasn't able to find them just now in a quick Internet search.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Some of the cheaper style are there too. The ones I bought were Tyco/AMP and much cheaper, however, I wasn't able to find them just now in a quick Internet search.

I have the cheap AMP one, all I see now are the big/fancy comfort grip ones from Panduit and others.

PetrosA

Ebay is a good place to check. I followed a lot of auctions till I found my crimp tool, but it was well worth the wait. If money is no object, there are tons of options out there. I just saw the new T&B tools today and they look sweeeeeeet :)

BTW, I also checked the T&B terminal packages, and some say Stranded and Solid, others don't specify anything, while there was at least one box that said Stranded Only. I guess you have to check each and every terminal, and I probably shouldn't throw them in together in my carrying case anymore :(

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Ebay is a good place to check. I followed a lot of auctions till I found my crimp tool, but it was well worth the wait. If money is no object, there are tons of options out there. I just saw the new T&B tools today and they look sweeeeeeet :)

BTW, I also checked the T&B terminal packages, and some say Stranded and Solid, others don't specify anything, while there was at least one box that said Stranded Only. I guess you have to check each and every terminal, and I probably shouldn't throw them in together in my carrying case anymore :(

I wouldnt worry too much about it. the guy who crimps the new one on if and when it ever fails probably wont know what his are
rated for or take the time to investigate it either.

jeremysterling

I bought 60 dollar ratcheting crimpers and I was very underwhelmed by their performance. I went back to my twenty dollar "stake-ons" and I'm more confident than ever in the crimps I make.

Status
Not open for further replies.