BX cable

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If it's a listed AC then the outer jacket/armor is a listed EGC.
But if the OP is actually looking at MC it is not a listed EGC. Using "BX" as a cable type in modern times raises electrofelon's question.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But if the OP is actually looking at MC it is not a listed EGC. Using "BX" as a cable type in modern times raises electrofelon's question.
Yeah, around here everyone calls AC BX but who knows exactly what the OP is referring to. I'm assuming it's AC.

I haven't used AC in NYC in at least 10 years. It's all MC now. You might see AC health care facility cable in hospitals. When we want to save money we use MC-ap so no EGC's to contend with.
So why did they come out with MC-ap? Why would someone use that over AC? What is the difference? (I know it has a bigger bond wire, but in practice and price what is the difference. do we need both?)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So why did they come out with MC-ap? Why would someone use that over AC? What is the difference? (I know it has a bigger bond wire, but in practice and price what is the difference. do we need both?)
Steel AC has a much stronger, thicker jacket and is therefore much heavier than it's lightweight MC counterpart. MC doesn't have paper on each conductor so terminations are somewhat faster. It's also easier (faster) to strip long sections of jacket like when entering a panel.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Steel AC has a much stronger, thicker jacket and is therefore much heavier than it's lightweight MC counterpart.
So does anyone make aluminum jacketed AC cable? I checked UL Standard 4, and per the scope, it's an option under the standard.

Cheers, Wayne

So does anyone make aluminum jacketed AC cable? I checked UL Standard 4, and per the scope, it's an option under the standard.

Cheers, Wayne
I was just about to ask if AC could be aluminum jacketed.

I guess I am still a little confused about the overall product offerings. It seems MC-ap is most convenient due to the lighter aluminum jacket which is also much easier to snip, and the lack of having to make up a wire EGC. Why does AC always seem to be steel? Why does regular MC seem to be vastly more popular than either mcap or type AC? I suspect it is because of the cult of the green wire and the vast majority of electricians have been programmed to want the wire EGC?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I haven't used AC in NYC in at least 10 years. It's all MC now. You might see AC health care facility cable in hospitals. When we want to save money we use MC-ap so no EGC's to contend with.
ok, one of the guys that was on Mike's 2020 code change videos was from NYC and said that is all they used. No actual experience with what they use out there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why does regular MC seem to be vastly more popular than either mcap or type AC? I suspect it is because of the cult of the green wire and the vast majority of electricians have been programmed to want the wire EGC?
In majority of the specifications we see they specify that they want the wire type green EGC. We often submit MC-ap to see if they will accept it because it saves a huge amount of labor not having to terminate the green wires. This is similar to specifications that call for wire type EGC's in EMT.