C-10 contractor wants to do something different

Junkorphan

New User
Occupation
General electric
I have not been using my license much, in california bay area. Want to find a niche to get into or go another direction like maybe building inspector or another route where my experience doing mostly retro fitting residential style of work would pay off but no more attic crawling. I'm not sure what i want to do with myself, looking for people with ideas on a good direction to go this day and age. I'm gonna go back to school just am still unsure of what i want.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I became an inspector after 22 years in the field. Another 22 years inspecting retiring 3 years ago. I have no regrets.
Good luck!

Ron

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
became an inspector after 22 years in the field
I was under the impression many EC inspectors were laid off during 2008 budget crisis & sequester.

Thought most AHJ's want combination inspectors, jack of all & master of none.

Did not realize there was still some use for EC's without certs in plumbing, roofing, framing, solar/fire systems, termite & vermin damage.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I was under the impression many EC inspectors were laid off during 2008 budget crisis & sequester.

Thought most AHJ's want combination inspectors, jack of all & master of none.

Did not realize there was still some use for EC's without certs in plumbing, roofing, framing, solar/fire systems, termite & vermin damage.
My jurisdiction was going to lay off 2 inspectors in 2008. However, 2 chose to leave.

I became a combination inspector certified by ICC.

In Colorado, all electrical installations are required to be inspected by licensed electrical inspectors now. If certified, they can inspect the other trades.
Termites are very rare here. 😀

Ron