cable being supported by a gas pipe

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I saw a electrical power cable supported by a gas pipe. Is there anything in the code that prohibits this?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Searching the NY Fuel Gas Code Chapters 3 and 4 for the word "support" yields a prohibition if the gas pipe is CSST, but I did not find a general prohibition for other gas pipe types.

Cheers, Wayne
I find it weird there is no prohibition of this. My common sense is telling me it's a bad idea, I don't know...

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I find it weird there is no prohibition of this. My common sense is telling me it's a bad idea, I don't know...
Yeah, if something manages to break the pipe, it's doubtful the NM is going to survive, but MC might. Still, now you have gas and an ignition source next to each other.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Don't make me look for the article, but isn't there one that says that cables and conduits must be supported independently and not be attached to plumbing, sprinkler or mechanical systems?

-Hal

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Don't make me look for the article, but isn't there one that says that cables and conduits must be supported independently and not be attached to plumbing, sprinkler or mechanical systems?

-Hal
I tried looking and there is none. the only thing that comes close to it is 300.11 but it doesn't tell you anything about electrical cable cannot be supported by foreign systems

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I confess I’ve never played this “card” in nearly 50 years of practice, but in virtually every State I’m familiar with the definition of the practice of professional engineering includes judgement as well as simple compliance with Codes and Standards. See the Code of Ethics section in New York – Laws, Rules and Ethics for Professional Engineers. [Paragraph II.1.1] (You probably should read the whole thing)

California is fairly specific:
6703. Responsible charge of work defined

The phrase “responsible charge of work” means the independent control and direction, by the use of initiative, skill, and independent judgment, of the investigation or design of professional engineering work or the direct engineering control of such projects. The phrase does not refer to the concept of financial liability.

Oddly enough, NFPA 54 says: Piping shall be anchored to prevent undue strains on connected appliances and equipment and shall not be supported by other piping. Similarly, like NEC Section 300.11, I can't find a specific prohibition, but it's hard to think prohibiting supporting other piping but permitting support for a foreign system would be acceptable.

This is all to say that if you are uncomfortable with it, don't do it.