Cable Caster, How Accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSamson

Does anyone have experience with this tool?

I need to fish some NM cable through a residential attic. Tar & gravel roof, mostly flat, with a slight pitch. Between the ceiling joists and rafters there's a maximum of 20" of space and slopes off to a minimum of about 6".

I need to make a shot about 35-40 feet, perpendicular to the rafters and joists. My question is really whether this thing has any arc on it. If it does, I'm dead at the second rafter. If it shoots straight for 35 or more feet, it could be a big help.

Let me know if you've used one and how straight it shoots.

Thanks

icefalkon

I've used it. LOL It works when it's new.

Note: DON'T underestimate the strength of the thing like two of our apprentices did...

One stood 15' away from the other and shot it at the other kid. ----

IT does shoot straight....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

MAK

Not really worth it.

Not really worth it.

I think Larry has the right idea with fiberglass fishing rods. I have used that cable caster before and it does need a bit of an arc to shoot that far of a distance. I always found it more trouble than it is worth. I am betting it works fine for a more wide open application.

icefalkon

Yeah...the cable caster will work if you have a lot of open space above where you're shooting, but it needs an arc to get to where it's got to go.

I'm not sure about using the fish rods over that kind of distance though...35 - 40'...that's pretty far to toss a javelin don't you think?

I mean, DSamson did say the clearance is only 20" tapering down to 6"...talk about zero room for error! I don't think the cable caster will make it that far with that small a window.

nhfire77

Labor Saving Devices, and I'm sure all the companies do now, has a whisk tip. You can easily slide 50' of rods as long as that is on the tip. Of course the spans can't be more than two maybe three feet, but its a resi attic, no problem there. I use it above commercial drop ceilings you can easily run over all the tiles and grids with it, and yes you have to go back to secure it. It also easily goes over/through the steel cross members above bar joists. $aves Time, makes $. Check it out:

http://www.lsdinc.com/content/product_details/42

480sparky

Labor Saving Devices, and I'm sure all the companies do now, has a whisk tip. .........

They are sometimes referred to as eggbeater tips as well. I have one for my LSD set, but never use it. It won't really help with the framing in an attic anyway as the end of the sticks will droop too far down for the tip to be able to 'ride' back up.

But a well-coordinated whip of the sticks and a slight push will accomplish this. Just give the sticks a slight upward snap, and let it ride down the sticks like a wave. With a little practice, you can easily get the end to hop up onto the joist with a slight push. You're another 16, 19.2 or 24" down the line, and you simply repeat the process.

The whisk/eggbeaters are really designed for drop ceilings so you don't need to 'whip' the sticks to get them to ride over the grid sections. The tip will run along the top of the tile, and will allow you to go over the next section of grid just by pushing. The tip acts like the runners on a sled.

icefalkon

Yeah, the problem is the distance between the joists...if they're close, then the sticks will go from joist to joist without a problem...a little whip now and then. But if the joists aren't that close...it'll be harder to "whip" the sticks tip up to get into the next joist as you get further from where you are. I love my fish sticks, and don't let them off my truck...guys forget to give them back lol.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But a well-coordinated whip of the sticks and a slight push will accomplish this. Just give the sticks a slight upward snap, and let it ride down the sticks like a wave. With a little practice, you can easily get the end to hop up onto the joist with a slight push. You're another 16, 19.2 or 24" down the line, and you simply repeat the process.
Absolutely. I've gotten my rods across about 30' of ceiling joists and then I was able to make the rod tip hot up about 2.5' and into a 1" slot between a block wall and the roof framing.

Sometimes, simply spinning the rods (always in the tightening direction!) will enable the tip to roll up and over the next framing member. Just picture what the tip of the rod needs to do.

icefalkon

Absolutely. I've gotten my rods across about 30' of ceiling joists and then I was able to make the rod tip hot up about 2.5' and into a 1" slot between a block wall and the roof framing.

Sometimes, simply spinning the rods (always in the tightening direction!) will enable the tip to roll up and over the next framing member. Just picture what the tip of the rod needs to do.

That's pretty damn good Larry! Talk about the hands of a surgeon! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.