Cable current limiting fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
Good morning all,

I am looking for a solution on cable current limiting fuses and how it works. We are tying in to an MCC bussing. We have had the bus flags made now we are looking for the fuses. Does someone make a fuse that we can’t take the cable feed through the bottom of fuse and secure it (crimp or lug screw like a DLO lollipop) that has a two hole paddle on opposite side. I’ve asked my supply house they are not to for sure I would. Just hoping someone has had this idea in the past

Thank you have a great Tuesday

Todd0x1

Are you talking about cable limiters? They make them with a crimp on one side and 2 hole lug on the other side.

Or are you talking about actual fuses?

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
Are you talking about cable limiters? They make them with a crimp on one side and 2 hole lug on the other side.

Or are you talking about actual fuses?
Cable limiters. I cannot find any any where for 12 to 21 week insane world we are living in I was ignorant that, although the function is the same, the name is different Thank you

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm curious why the OP is trying to use cable limiters. These have very limited applications, typically used on service entrance conductors that are in parallel to help detect and prevent overloading of other conductors from an open conductor.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm curious why the OP is trying to use cable limiters. These have very limited applications, typically used on service entrance conductors that are in parallel to help detect and prevent overloading of other conductors from an open conductor.
Is that a common problem?

Wouldn't that amount to fuses in parallel?

mooreaaryan

Occupation
Electrician
Yep that’s why the engineer want them there

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think the term "fuse" as we commonly look at them is a misnomer as they are not actually rated in amps.
From the description:
Unlike fuses, cable limiters are selected by cable
size rather than amp rating, e.g., a “4/0” limiter
will carry the current of a 4/0 cable.

synchro

Occupation
EE
No.
The load side of each limiter is connected to its own conductor therefore it is not directly in parallel with any other limiter.
How are these not in parallel?

I think when Jim said "not directly in parallel" he meant that the current limiters would not be connected in close proximity, but instead through the full length of the run of parallel conductors. This is an important distinction because the resistance of the conductors acts as a "ballast" to equalize the current sharing through the current limiters, which would not be the case if they were paralleled directly right next to each other.

By the way, inside power semiconductors such as IGBT's, BJT's, MOSFET's etc, it is common to use metallization to form ballast resistors between the individual "cells" that are put in parallel, so that the current is shared more equally between them.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I think when Jim said "not directly in parallel" he meant that the current limiters would not be connected in close proximity, but instead through the full length of the run of parallel conductors. This is an important distinction because the resistance of the conductors acts as a "ballast" to equalize the current sharing through the current limiters, which would not be the case if they were paralleled directly right next to each other.
Each limiter only sees 100% of the current flowing through the single conductor it is connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.