Cable locate

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Customer wanted to know if the cable to his irrigation well was in conduit and how deep it was. He knows the answer now. Just a bit shallower than his last shovel full and no conduit. Lucky. He only went phase to neutral but it blew the shovel handle back up into his face. A night in the hospital and he said something about having a severe case of HUA syndrome.

mdshunk

Would that be the fat lip brand cable locator? One of my top 10 gripes is well pump installers that wire up their own well equipment.

I saw the aftermath of a guard rail that got driven into primary at a new Wal-Mart. The paint marks were a good 4 feet away. :confused:

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
Would that be the fat lip brand cable locator? One of my top 10 gripes is well pump installers that wire up their own well equipment.

I saw the aftermath of a guard rail that got driven into primary at a new Wal-Mart. The paint marks were a good 4 feet away. :confused:
they dont require primary underground feeders be covered by cement? around here our poco requires us to cover all there primary raceways with at least 2 inches of concrete so this doesnt happen

peter d

mdshunk said:
One of my top 10 gripes is well pump installers that wire up their own well equipment.

That's pretty much a fact of life around here. Thankfully most of them do OK work even though it may not be orthodox. Generally the greatest sins they commit are running the submersible pump cable into the house inside of the black water pipe.

peter d

electricalperson said:
they dont require primary underground feeders be covered by cement? around here our poco requires us to cover all there primary raceways with at least 2 inches of concrete so this doesnt happen

Not all poco's use conduit. Many simply bury the MV cable and call it done.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
They normally do here too, but I'm pretty sure those trucks that drive guardrail posts would have no trouble pounding through a few inches of concrete. There's enough rocks around here, the operator probably didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Your shovel guy probably never expected to find well pump wires where he did.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
They normally do here too, but I'm pretty sure those trucks that drive guardrail posts would have no trouble pounding through a few inches of concrete. There's enough rocks around here, the operator probably didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Your shovel guy probably never expected to find well pump wires where he did.
that must of been pretty nasty, was anyone hurt?

mdshunk

peter d said:
Generally the greatest sins they commit are running the submersible pump cable into the house inside of the black water pipe.
Think about this for a minute. Some of that "well pump cable" is labeled as "unjacketed UF cable". You can run UF indoors. Cable so marked falls into some sort of grey area that I don't understand.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Think about this for a minute. Some of that "well pump cable" is labeled as "unjacketed UF cable". You can run UF indoors. Cable so marked falls into some sort of grey area that I don't understand.

I'm not quite sure how it's classified. Generally speaking the stuff they run is a red, black and green "triplexed" together and marked "Submersible pump cable" as well as the gauge marking. I think it might also say "Type TW" but I'm not sure.

mdshunk

peter d said:
I'm not quite sure how it's classified. Generally speaking the stuff they run is a red, black and green "triplexed" together and marked "Submersible pump cable" as well as the gauge marking. I think it might also say "Type TW" but I'm not sure.
Ever seen the new stuff, normally yellow, that's sorta like Siamese cable?

JohnJ0906

peter d said:
Southwire's well cable is THHN/THWN, but not UF.
Just one brand though.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Ever seen the new stuff, normally yellow, that's sorta like Siamese cable?

Yes, but only on a reel at Lowes. I've never seen any of the well companies use it around here, as it's probably more expensive. Maybe Stickboy has seen it as he wires quite a few wells.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
This was 4/0 AL @ 480V, no more than 30 feet from the xfmr bank. Just beyond the meter & no fusing other than the primary side. Hole was filling with water has he dug it. The conductors were basically vaporized back into the insulation. Nice & neat. No burn marks. Haven't seen the shovel.

peter d

ptonsparky said:
This was 4/0 AL @ 480V, no more than 30 feet from the xfmr bank. Just beyond the meter & no fusing other than the primary side. Hole was filling with water has he dug it. The conductors were basically vaporized back into the insulation. Nice & neat. No burn marks. Haven't seen the shovel.

That changes the picture quite a bit from what I had in my minds eye when you first posted!! I was thinking you hit a UF cable or something like that.

mdshunk

ptonsparky said:
Weird. I had it in mind that this was an ordinary residential water well. Guess not.

Do you suppose anyone makes a non-conductive digging shovel? I know they makes one's with non-conductive handles, and grain scoops with poly blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.