Cable Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

Does anyone have information or know where I could find some good information regarding the difference between MV DC HiPot, or using a AC HiPot using Tan-Delta techonology? What are the pros / cons? Also is there a website that indicates what states have adopted what edition of the NEC? Thanks.:

mikehughes8

Mike01 said:
Does anyone have information or know where I could find some good information regarding the difference between MV DC HiPot, or using a AC HiPot using Tan-Delta techonology? What are the pros / cons? .:

Mike

The AC and DC hi potential tests are used to test the insulation on cables. If the insulation is fualty at a particular voltage you will know becuase the test set will register a high leakage current which usually results in the breaker tripping on the test set. The DC and AC hi potential tests are go/no go test.
The AC hi-pot test is considered destructive. Running this test repeatedly will actually cuase insultaion deteriorate over time. The DC megger isn't considered destructive. I would check with AVO for specifics on available test sets.

Mike01

AC-HiPot

AC-HiPot

Wow that is condractive to what I have herrd is there anywhere where I can find this information to make a more infomative decision. Below is an example of one statment that I found.

VLF Testing can be (harmful) if you are using a pass / fail method, but Tan Delta is one of six diagnostics methods, with the newer test equipment on the market today it is easy to say that VLF- TD is not a destructive test as most of the equipment will come with a waveform or meter and an emergency shut off much like the old Dc Hy-pot test set.

mikehughes8

Ieee

Ieee

I use the IEEE as my resource. However, the edition of the IEEE that I have mentions nothing about Tan Delta testing. I'm not particularly up to speed on the latest technologies. I generally stay away from Hi-pot testing. I might use it for acceptance testing but nothing more. Attached is some info from the IEEE. View attachment 315

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.