cable tray calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have never calculated cable tray before. I am trying to figure the size needed for some romex. I have multiple sizes: 14/2, 12/2, 12/3, 10/2, and 8/2.

Determine the cross sectional area of each differing type of cable, multiply each cross sectional area by the number of runs of that type to be installed in one tray run, find the number which equals or the smallest which exceeds that area value in Table 392.9, Column 1 and transpose to the left most column of the table. The number there is the minimum width tray which will accommodate the cables you want to install in it.

Smart $
I was going thru the code book and found what you are saying, I just cannot figure out where to find the cross sectional area of each cable. This is what has stumped me. Is there a manufacturing document that would have this info? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks for the help from everyone. Those pictures show why many good EC's are having problems staying in business. I cannot imagine anyone trying to tell me to do something like that. Keep up the good workmanship. The reason that I am looking into cable tray, is that I have about 18 romex cables that are running together and I do not like the way they look! (exposed area and legal to be there)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Smart $
I was going thru the code book and found what you are saying, I just cannot figure out where to find the cross sectional area of each cable. This is what has stumped me. Is there a manufacturing document that would have this info? I appreciate all the help.

Don't know of any mfgr's docs off hand. Even if you or someone came up with one, cross-sectional areas are likely to vary a little between mfgrs.

If need be, get a measuring caliper, then do the area math.

Status
Not open for further replies.