Cable tray clearances

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Engineering
Can someone tell me what (if any) clearances are required between cable tray and the ceiling in Canada?
I cant find anything. Can you post the code section and wording too?
I don't have access to the Canadian code and I'm going to have to quote chapter and verse. My say so doesn't mean a lot unless I have it in writing.

ron

Can't tell you for Canada, but in the US (NEC) there is no distance requirement (assuming no splicing / boxes or special conditions), just the common sense of being able get your hands in there to dress the cables in the tray.

tortuga

Occupation
field supervisor
I am looking at [2012 CEC] 12-2200 (6)
Code:
The minimum clearances for cable trays shall be
(a) 150 mm vertical clearance, excluding depth of cable trays, between cable trays installed in tiers
except that, where cables of 50 mm diameter or greater may be installed, the clearance shall
be 300 mm;
(b) 300 mm vertical clearance from the top of the cable tray to all ceilings, heating ducts, and heating
equipment and 150 mm for short length obstructions;
(c) 600 mm horizontal clearance on one side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another or to walls
or other obstructions, where the width of the cable tray installation does not exceed 1 m; and
(d) 600 mm horizontal clearance on each side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another, where
the width of the cable tray installation exceeds 1 m.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Engineering
I am looking at [2012 CEC] 12-2200 (6)
Code:
The minimum clearances for cable trays shall be
(a) 150 mm vertical clearance, excluding depth of cable trays, between cable trays installed in tiers
except that, where cables of 50 mm diameter or greater may be installed, the clearance shall
be 300 mm;
(b) 300 mm vertical clearance from the top of the cable tray to all ceilings, heating ducts, and heating
equipment and 150 mm for short length obstructions;
(c) 600 mm horizontal clearance on one side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another or to walls
or other obstructions, where the width of the cable tray installation does not exceed 1 m; and
(d) 600 mm horizontal clearance on each side of cable trays mounted adjacent to one another, where
the width of the cable tray installation exceeds 1 m.
Thanks!

m sleem

Article 392 ● C able Trays

392.18 Cable Tray Installation.

(F) Adequate Access. Sufficient space shall be provided and maintained about cable trays to permit adequate access for installing and maintaining the cables.