Cable Tray contradictions

kenaslan

It appears that the Cable Tray code contradicts itself.
My question is, can we use a triad configuration for cables larger than 4/0? 292.22(1)(a) says no, 292.20(C) says it is required.

292.20(C) requires parallel circuits to be grouped together (triad configuration)

(C) Connected in Parallel. Where single conductor cables comprising each phase, neutral, or grounded conductor of an alternating-current circuit are connected in parallel as permitted in 310.10(H), the conductors shall be installed in groups consisting of not more than one conductor per phase, neutral, or grounded conductor to prevent current imbalance in the paralleled conductors due to inductive reactance.

Single conductors shall be securely bound in circuit groups to prevent excessive movement due to fault-current magnetic forces unless single conductors are cabled together, such as triplexed assemblies.

292.22(1)(a) requires cables larger than 4/0 to be in a single layer only.

(a) Where all of the cables are 4/0 AWG or larger, the sum of the diameters of all cables shall not exceed the cable tray width, and the cables shall be installed in a single layer. Where the cable ampacity is determined according to 392.80(A)(1)(c), the cable tray width shall not be less than the sum of the diameters of the cables and the sum of the required spacing widths between the cables.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I think your referring to 392.20(C) and 392.22(A)(1)(a).

My take is if you have a ladder or vented tray and parallel sets 4/0 or larger the tray needs to be as wide as the sum of the diameters of all the cables [or as per 392.22(A)(1)(a) ]
and
You install them the triad specified by 392.20(C) however it can only be one layer of triad.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
It appears that the Cable Tray code contradicts itself.
My question is, can we use a triad configuration for cables larger than 4/0? 292.22(1)(a) says no, 292.20(C) says it is required.

292.20(C) requires parallel circuits to be grouped together (triad configuration)

292.22(1)(a) requires cables larger than 4/0 to be in a single layer only.
392.22(A)(1)(a) refers to multiconductor cables. The conductors are already grouped together.

kenaslan

Thank you,
The question now becomes "292.20(C) requires parallel circuits to be grouped together" is that referring to triad configurations, or can they be A,B,C,B,A,C,A,B,C next to each other.

This section of the code truly needs to be better written IMHO

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thank you,
The question now becomes "292.20(C) requires parallel circuits to be grouped together" is that referring to triad configurations, or can they be A,B,C,B,A,C,A,B,C next to each other.
392.20(C) seems pretty clear to me you group them one cable per phase.
Note as David pointed out 392.22(A)(1)(a) is for multi-conductor cables, my answer above still stands see 392.22(B)(1)(d)