Cable trays in hospitals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbb

An engineer has specified single conductors installed in a cable tray system. The conductors are installed from the paralleling switchgear to the emergency switchboard. I know this violates 392.3(B) but does it also violate 517.30(C)(3)?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Cable trays in hospitals.

Yes it does.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I?ll plead ignorance for the moment. I don?t see enough information in the original question to discern whether there is a violation of either of the two cited articles. 392.3(A) does allow single conductors in a cable tray system, sometimes. 517.30(C)(3) forbids normal and emergency conductors to share a cable tray. But the original question does not make clear that the cable tray under consideration includes both normal and emergency conductors.

What am I missing?
:confused:

cpal

are they single conductors or cable???

392.3 Uses Permitted.
Cable tray shall be permitted to be used as a support system for services, feeders, branch circuits, communications circuits, control circuits, and signaling circuits. Cable tray installations shall not be limited to industrial establishments.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Charlie:

In the 2002 code, 517.30(C)(3) is mechanical protection of the emergency system.

The wiring of the emergency system of a hospital shall be mechanically protected by installation in nonflexible metal raceways, or shall be wired with Type MI cable.
At first I wondered if a solid (non-ventillated) cable tray would satisfy this. Not I am wondering if a ventilated cable tray would also satisfy this. The paragraph doesn't say anything about "totally enclosed".

But at any rate, single conductors cannot be installed in a cable tray in a hospital.

Steve

cpal

I agree that 392.3 (B) limits the use of single conductors in Cable Tray to Industrial Locations.

Cable Tray it self may be used any where as I read it.

Is a MI Single Conductor Cable a Single Conductor?? I am having that discussion as we speak else-where.

I'd be interested to see some more responses

Charlie

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Steve, we have to go to the definition of "Raceway" in article 100, and here we find the word enclosed.

Charlie I think you meant 517.30(C)(1).

Roger

cpal

Thanks Roger.
Charlie

[ February 03, 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: cpal ]

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

In absence of a reference to Art 310, Table 392.3(A) does not permit general use of single conductor cables in Cable Tray unless they are also part of another ?recognized? method in the Table. Section 392.3(B) [via 392.3(B)(1)] only permits single conductors in ?industrial establishment? applications.

Section 517.30(C)(3) only recognizes ?raceways.? In general, cable trays aren?t raceways, at least in the US. Whether ?covered? cable trays are raceways or not we can leave to future debate.

In short, Roger?s short answer was correct. :D

rbb

Thanks Rodger. In your opinion. Where does the emergency system begin?

cpal

Yes I also agree that 517.30(C)(3) requires EM SYSTEMS in hospitals be mechanically protected.

My concern is towards Type MI Cable. It is recognized under this section as a stand alone wiring method (without the use of a raceway)if one chooses to install it in a Cable Tray (a means of support and Not a wiring method).Table 392.3A recognizes MI in Cable Tray??? I believe it would be ok YES/NO???

rick hart

This is part of the emergency standby system that is normally de-energized, right? We are talking about the run from generator to a switchboard that feeds transfer switches the emergency power? If so, there will not be a way to mix the different systems required to be kept separate because they have not been established at this point. 517.230 C
I don't think that cable trays can be defined as a raceway either. In section 100 a raceway is defined as enclosed. Cable trays allow flexibility and that is not something desired in an emergency supply.
Having said that, an engineer that puts his stamp on a design can do something like this if there are circumstances that would prohibit conduit or wireway. He assumes the liability for installation "under engineering supervision".

cpal

392.2 Definition.
Cable Tray System. A unit or assembly of units or sections and associated fittings forming a structural system used to securely fasten or support cables and raceways.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I see that now Roger :eek:

And the definition lists just about everything except cable trays.

cpal:

I also think type MI cable in a duct would be OK. But I think the pharse "single conductors" refers to wires normally installed in a raceway, like THHN/THWN.

Steve

cpal

517.30 does not prohibit MI Cable .392.3 (A) does not prohibit MI Cable.

392.3(B) implies that single conductors may only be installed in Cable Tray when the conductors and tray are installed in industrial locations.

I just want to clarify that my question regards installing type MI in a hospital with that wiring method supported by Cable Tray.

But I am getting a clearer picture of the entire discussion thanks everyone!!

Charlie

rick hart

MI cable in a tray is not a problem; I'm really not sure MI would be a problem without any raceway, wireway, what have you.
I thought we were talking 75C building wire conductors when speaking of single conductors. With the MI you have a practically bullet proof installation. I have seen that stuff run directly to a fire pump transfer switch from a pad mounted 600KVA transformer output- just bundled together, hanging from one hole straps under a hospital. Engineering drawing stamped by P.E. and everything.
I'm anxious to see what that comment stirs up. It's true.

cpal

Unless you have lugs rated for more than 75 degree C the MI essentially is 75 degree C

Charlie

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I agree, if we are using MI cable, raceways or trays would only be an added luxury and not necessary, in otherwords a moot point.

Rbb, IMO the Emergency System starts at the Alternate Source, pretty much as shown within the brackets of the "emergency system" in FPN Figures 517.30 No.1 and No.2.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Rick:

That fire pump sounds like a good application of MI cable. You can get MI cable with a 2 hour fire rating. See 695.6(B) of the 2002 NEC.

Also see:

MI cable info

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Roger:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not sure about this, but I am starting to think the emergency system starts at the transfer switch. Notice that the diagrams only show vertical brackets around the generator for the "essential electrical system". The "emergency system" only has a horizontal bracket on the load side of the transfer switch.

I'm also thinking that everything on the line side of the xfer switch is backed up (there is normal and emergency power).

I'm not saying I disagree, but I wish there was something that made it a little clearer.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.