Calculating capacity for EV Charger - getting very different opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1111

New User
Occupation
Sorry I did not realize this was a pro to pro site only. Please delete my account and posts.
I am looking into installing an EV charger in my condo that taps into the load of my meter. I've gotten three very different opinions on if I have sufficient capacity to install the charger without also adding a 1.2k DCC that allows an EV charger to be installed without impacting peak load. The DCC accomplishes this by temporary turning off the charger if it sees too much power is being drawn.

1. Electrician 1 thinks I can do a full 50 amps without a DCC
2. Electrician 2 thinks I can do 30 amps (24 amp charger) without DCC
3. Electrician 3 thinks I have no safe capacity and I need a DCC no matter what.

My meter is providing 125 amps- and my panel is also rated for 125 amps. Any thoughts on who is correct? I tried adding up the total number of circuits in my panel, but that's way more than 125 so must not be the way to do the math.

In total I have
12 - 15 amp breakers = 180
7- 20 amp breakers =140
1 - 25 amp breaker
1 - 30 amp breaker
1 - 40 amp breaker
Grand Total = 450 amps

Here's also a photo of my panel.

Thanks!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.