Calculating fill for LFNC-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

I'm trying to figure out if three #6 THHN and one #8 THHN can fit in 1'' LFNC-B. I see in the tables section of the NEC that 1'' liquid tight conduit has area of .349 sq inches at 40%.

I also see that #6 THHN has an area of .0507 sq inches and #8 THHN has an area of .0366 sq inches.

When I add up all of the wires I come up with .1887 sq inches, which is less than the .349 sq inches allowed for the conduit, so I'm thinking I'm good to go...

Am I doing this correctly?

Also what about the fittings? Does the same sq inches apply to those as the 1'' conduit?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
a shortcut would be to look at Table 5 which will show you that 1" LFNC-B will accommodate (7) #6 THHNs so you obviously are good to go.
Fittings will not alter you findings.
FWIW, your calculations looked 100%

Last edited:

crtemp

a shortcut would be to look at Table 5 which will show you that 1" LFNC-B will accommodate (7) #6 THHNs so you obviously are good to go.
Fittings will not alter you findings.

For some reason I had thought that Table said I was only allowed 4 #6 wires in 1'' conduit so that was why I thought adding it all up seemed wrong when it came out to only being about half full. I now see that it says 7 #6's can fit.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.