Calculating Total 3-P Amperage Given Individual Phase Amperages

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndoe1234

Given a 3-phase wye circuit (3 conductors and grounded neutral), with phase currents of L1=58A, L2=74A, L3=64A and N=12A, how does one compute the total current?

Sahib

One way:
58+74*cos(-120)+j74*sin(-120)+64*cos(120)+j64*sin(120). Compute it and check if it is equal in magnitude to neutral current value= 12 A.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For simple calculation at unity (or equal) power factor...
NeutralCurrentFormula.gif

If you want to do a calculation with unequal power factor, let me know...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Ohh!!! Just re-read your post...

There is no such thing as total current. It is what it is.

On the other hand, you can calculate total VA... or Watts if you know the power factors. Is that what you're looking for?

johndoe1234

For simple calculation at unity (or equal) power factor...
NeutralCurrentFormula.gif

If you want to do a calculation with unequal power factor, let me know...

Thanks for the replies. I know the formula for calculating neutral current, as well as other basic conversion formulas.

More detail:
With a 65kVA UPS (with 80% derated max current of 160A), I'm trying to determine how close to capacity I am on a per phase basis, assuming balanced load (which of course I don't have in this example). I know from a total load perspective, I'm at about 55% (of 80% derated capacity). What I'm trying to determine is what the max amp per phase limits are with a max total current of 160A.

TIA for any replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ohh!!! Just re-read your post...

There is no such thing as total current. It is what it is.

On the other hand, you can calculate total VA... or Watts if you know the power factors. Is that what you're looking for?

And you can calculate the line to line currents for each phase from the individual line currents, again if you know the power factors OR can at least assume that they are all equal.

Tapatalk!

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
...With a 65kVA UPS (with 80% derated max current of 160A), I'm trying to determine how close to capacity I am on a per phase basis, assuming balanced load (which of course I don't have in this example). I know from a total load perspective, I'm at about 55% (of 80% derated capacity). What I'm trying to determine is what the max amp per phase limits are with a max total current of 160A....

The context always helps.

Since I don't have the mfg book, this is just a guess:
I would not look at the UPS as a generator with unbalanced phase currents. This is not a rotor/stator heating problem.

The phase output currents are through semiconductors. And they heat up pretty fast - like on the half cycle. I would guess that if any phase current is getting next to your proscribed limit - that's enough.

65kva is a significant UPS. If the mfg book doesn't cover unbalanced loads, suggest calling the mfg eng department.

ice

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the replies. I know the formula for calculating neutral current, as well as other basic conversion formulas.

More detail:
With a 65kVA UPS (with 80% derated max current of 160A), I'm trying to determine how close to capacity I am on a per phase basis, assuming balanced load (which of course I don't have in this example). I know from a total load perspective, I'm at about 55% (of 80% derated capacity). What I'm trying to determine is what the max amp per phase limits are with a max total current of 160A.

TIA for any replies.

I should think that 80% of your output current would be 144A, not 160A

But keeping with 160A, you have a max current of 160A PER PHASE, not 160A total.

iceworm

Occupation
What I'm trying to determine is what the max amp per phase limits are with a max total current of 160A. ....
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to do? As others have already said, these terms don't have any meaning. Here is a suggestion on nomenclature:

Assuming 65kva, 208V Wye: Output current is 180A. Forget the "amps per phase". Forget the "total current". Those terms don't mean anything when discussing 3 phase.

For 3 phase balance load (fully loaded), put a clamp-on on each phase conductor, and each ammeter will read 180A. When you are asked what is the current? And you say 180A. You are saying the current is balanced and nominal 180A measured on each phase conductor.

For unbalance load, list the currents just the way you did, "phase currents of L1=58A, L2=74A, L3=64A and N=12A". That is perfect. There is no total current. They are vectors - if you add them, they better equal zero.

ice

ron

Take the worst case (largest) phase current and use that to calculate 3 phase power as if all three phases have the same. Since the individual currents run through different transistors, it is not overall effective heating like a gen or transformer.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...80% derated capacity...
What's with this "derated" capacity???

If it's rated 65kVA, that's what you can power continuously (supposedly). Max current per line conductor is 180.5A. You can make allowances if you want... so why 80%?

Last edited:

johndoe1234

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to do? As others have already said, these terms don't have any meaning. Here is a suggestion on nomenclature:

Assuming 65kva, 208V Wye: Output current is 180A. Forget the "amps per phase". Forget the "total current". Those terms don't mean anything when discussing 3 phase.

For 3 phase balance load (fully loaded), put a clamp-on on each phase conductor, and each ammeter will read 180A. When you are asked what is the current? And you say 180A. You are saying the current is balanced and nominal 180A measured on each phase conductor.

For unbalance load, list the currents just the way you did, "phase currents of L1=58A, L2=74A, L3=64A and N=12A". That is perfect. There is no total current. They are vectors - if you add them, they better equal zero.

ice

Thanks, Iceman, that's an answer I can live with. I have all the amp-clamp values. Thanks to others for taking the time to reply. Case closed. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It does not mean anything. I would love it if people would stop using the phrase "total current."

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It does not mean anything. I would love it if people would stop using the phrase "total current."
:thumbsup: Since power is not a vector, total power is completely meaningful, even though it is not necessarily the right way to check to see whether a given source can handle a given load configuration. :)
If different power factors on different phases are involved, on the other hand, total VA is also a somewhat nebulous concept.

iceworm

Occupation

I'll add:
amps per phase
surge (unless the discussion is about tidal bores)
ground loop (unless the discussion is about landing a tail dragger)
dirty grounds
110V, 220V
440V (unless the discussion is about U frame motors)
And dare I add split-phase (unless one is discussing motors)​

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.