Calculating voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealityCk

It's been 20 years.

When calculating voltage drop do I multiply the distance by the number of conductors or just use the actual footage?

e.g. 2 conductors 20 Amps, 120v, 300 ft would be 600 ft instead?

Grin, at least I do remember Ohms Law, 'cept for that part.

Thanks in Advance.

hardworkingstiff

RealityCk said:
It's been 20 years.

When calculating voltage drop do I multiply the distance by the number of conductors or just use the actual footage?

e.g. 2 conductors 20 Amps, 120v, 300 ft would be 600 ft instead?

Grin, at least I do remember Ohms Law, 'cept for that part.

Thanks in Advance.

For single-phase loads, you are correct. While not exactly correct (but close enough), I use the formula (for single-phase loads):
VD=IR
where I is the current in the wire and R is the resistance in the wire (the distance to the load and back).

RealityCk

I'm just a programmer now... not too much current in dead brain cells...

I'm just a programmer now... not too much current in dead brain cells...

Lou,

Thanks so much.
I have a friend who moved his travel trailer to the ?barn? about 300 ft away and wishes to use a circuit (30 amp, 110v) to power his trailer when he and significant have a spat or he just wants to get away. <But, not too far> :)

The barn, some years ago, was originally wired just to service a few lights so he is reluctant <fortunately> to do that.

I?ll have to go see exactly what the situation is; exact distance, type of service installed and so on.

I suspect the ?good? solution is to go to 220 (with proper gauge) and step-down at the end.

Again, thanks.
RealityCk, Memphis, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.