California certification for government electricians

tubbed39

Occupation
Electrician
Considering facilities electricians install electrical equipment do they need to be state certified? The county I work for is not a C-10 but we do perform new installations requiring permits ( but we are self inspecting) so question is because we are government do we (the county) get a free pass. A little background I'm IBEW for 20 years and also state certified. please be kind I seriously would like to know.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
I don't know about the licensing part, but you might not need a permit, depends on what the boss thinks of this section:

CBC [A] 105.2.2 Public Service Agencies
A permit shall not be required for the installation, alteration or repair of generation, transmission, distribution or metering or other related equipment that is under the ownership and control of public service agencies by established right.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Like the employees of a General B contractor and certain other C contractors Government employees can perform unlimited electrical installations without any personal licensing or certification. We call that the general B loophole and it is the size of your state.