California Certification Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I've been following this since the late 90's when Gray Davis and the unions started the drive to certify electricians. I am in favor of certification, because it lifts the competency level of our trade. But there have been a lot of shenanigans along the long 12+ year road to where we are now. Decertifying every non-union apprenticeship program (including the long established LA City College Program) for a period. Then a push to have the IBEW electricians not have to take the test (since they had all completed their apprenticeship programs---wait---a 60% + failure rate on the first round of testing for the IBEW guys?) And the still standing exemption that staff electricians (i.e. anyone who doesn't work for a C-10, which includes the maintenance electricians at the state capitol building, etc). What a bunch of manipulation. It applies to everyone, based on competency. I am distressed to see it recently change to less real world test questions because that is what is most important.

--

You forgot to include that a electrician employed by a B general contractor building a home or a commercial build -out in most Jurisdictions can do all the electrical without being certified. This is a major loop hole. I knew of a instance where the General contractor supplied the workers and the C-10 contractor just supervised to keep cost down.

Status
Not open for further replies.