California T24 Wattage Limit Retail Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarray

Hi, I am looking to get some further clarifications on the wattage calculation according to T-24

Wattage/square ft x area (including the floor area) is the calculator that I found online. The store fixture that I am supplying has following dimensions :

H = 9.5 ft
W = 3.5 ft
Depth = 6 ft

The fixture includes a number of shelves with merchandiser items and each shelf has low voltage lighting. If I am only taking the floor area in account and not the height my allowable wattage is 21 sq. ft x 1.2 Watts/sq.ft = 25.2 watts.

That is not nearly enough to light up the entire fixture even with the 12v low voltage LEDs...

Am I correct is assuming that the height is completely ignored in calculating the allowable power consumption per area? It is a fairly large Gondola and I need 80-100 watts to light up the entire unit. This wattage allowance seems too low for a retail merchandiser environment.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If this is a manufactured fixture then I believe is governed by the title 20 appliance section.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi, I am looking to get some further clarifications on the wattage calculation according to T-24

Am I correct is assuming that the height is completely ignored in calculating the allowable power consumption per area? It is a fairly large Gondola and I need 80-100 watts to light up the entire unit. This wattage allowance seems too low for a retail merchandiser environment.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

assuming it's a manufactured, listed device, not a part of the building structure,
i don't believe it's power consumption is factored into the square footage calcs.

some sprint stores are a good example. they have displays that have integral backlighting,
that rivals the noonday sun. they are hard connected to the building, but as sales
lighting displays, their power isn't used in building calcs.

sprint also want's those things lit 24/7/365 for brand recognition. it's a sales prop, and
those are exempt from T24 lighting controls. how bright are they? at night, with all the
stores lighting off.... 55 footcandles everywhere in the store. driving by the mall, you
can see and recognize the store from 300 yards away.

they really want you to know where that store is, if you need a new cellphone at 3 AM....

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm not in Calif, so I'm not sure about Title 24.

But I believe if it were under the IECC (what most of the rest of the country is using) it would count. But the lighting power is averaged over the entire store, not each individual area. So your display might use more watts per square foot, while the rest of the store uses less.

The IECC also has additional lighting power for retail displays, as long as it is switched separately from the general lighting. How much extra depends on what is on display.

Sarray

assuming it's a manufactured, listed device, not a part of the building structure,
i don't believe it's power consumption is factored into the square footage calcs.

some sprint stores are a good example. they have displays that have integral backlighting,
that rivals the noonday sun. they are hard connected to the building, but as sales
lighting displays, their power isn't used in building calcs.

sprint also want's those things lit 24/7/365 for brand recognition. it's a sales prop, and
those are exempt from T24 lighting controls. how bright are they?

yes is it carries a CSA/UL-65 Label manufactured fixture that gets hardwired into the store. All electrical components are UL-Listed

Just like any other store display it contains shelving with 12v LED lightings. The color temperatures range from 4100k-5300k

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarray

I'm not in Calif, so I'm not sure about Title 24.

But I believe if it were under the IECC (what most of the rest of the country is using) it would count. But the lighting power is averaged over the entire store, not each individual area. So your display might use more watts per square foot, while the rest of the store uses less.

The IECC also has additional lighting power for retail displays, as long as it is switched separately from the general lighting. How much extra depends on what is on display.

Thanks,

From the information I was able to collect T24 does not directly apply to any fixture manufactured outside of the store. Wattage allowance varies from store to store depending store's overall parameter.

Fulthrotl

As I said it will need to comply title 20 though as I stated earlier.

yeah, what he said up there.... ^^^^

understand that it'll have to be UL listed to be installed.
those sprint stores? some of the displays were not UL listed.

they ended up having to be field listed to get a final electrical.
that didn't go well, and wasn't much fun for the participants.

'cept the UL underwriter. he had a good day.

Sarray

yeah, what he said up there.... ^^^^

understand that it'll have to be UL listed to be installed.
those sprint stores? some of the displays were not UL listed.

they ended up having to be field listed to get a final electrical.
that didn't go well, and wasn't much fun for the participants.

'cept the UL underwriter. he had a good day.

I understand that they have to be UL-Listed. Some of the fixtures that we ship are Listed under UL-962 and others under UL-65. Every fixture has a mark on it.

The fixture must comply to Title 20 on top of it being UL-Listed I take it?

Fulthrotl

I understand that they have to be UL-Listed. Some of the fixtures that we ship are Listed under UL-962 and others under UL-65. Every fixture has a mark on it.

The fixture must comply to Title 20 on top of it being UL-Listed I take it?

yeah, pretty much.

lighting controls must be title 20 listed as well, except full control systems are not required to
be listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.