California Title 24 Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captslowe

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello!

I am spec'ing out lighting and lighting controls for a hazardous location, Class I Div 2.
I have had no issues finding options for the fixtures. However, lighting controls for this are becoming an issue.

I have tried to contact the Title 24 group through phone and email, but have had no luck.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction on lighting controls for this area.

Thank you,
Casey

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
When you say "title 24" I assume you mean part 6, energy code?

Title 24 is the entire CA Building Standards Code available for view at:

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Energy Hotline (800) 772-3300

Subchapter 2 - All occupancies: mandatory
Subchapter 3 - nonresidential: mandatory
subchapter 4 - nonresidential lighting
etc...

Captslowe

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
When you say "title 24" I assume you mean part 6, energy code?

Title 24 is the entire CA Building Standards Code available for view at:

Yes, Part 6. I haven't found anything that has exceptions for hazardous locations so I assume that all lighting controls need to comply no matter the room.

Any I have called and emailed multiple times, but haven't received a response as they are only responding to emails and voicemails.

Captslowe

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
We're still in the design phase. I have... some time left, but I'm running up against deadlines.
I'm calling the hotline daily and emailing. I hope they respond soon.

Thanks for all your help!

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Since you are an electrical engineer I would recommend designing the system with a "best effort" to meet the intent of the mandatory provisions while still being reasonably functional for your project. For example i don't think vacancy sensors are appropriate for industrial/factory settings where employees could be endangered by being left in the dark. Submit your design with your stamp and work with whatever corrections they provide. Energy code should take a backseat to life safety.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If you use an @, as in @Fulthrotl, the message board will send him an alert. Or perhaps you didn't want to be so direct? If so, sorry to have short circuited that.

Cheers, Wayne

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
btw, this is not the first time we have had this ugly thing rear it's head.....

Status
Not open for further replies.