Call-back

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

buckofdurham said:
I don't have a megger
Time to stop guessing, then. Might I suggest it be one of your next tool purchases? It really will help you solve these problems with surety. AFCI's are here to stay, and more calls like this are in your future. Unless you like going back time after time until you guess right, it's time to buy something like a megger.

Buck Parrish

Don't laugh, Do they come with directions?

I once got letters for taking a meter reading course at a local university.
Three days for $850.00

ultramegabob

buckofdurham said:
Don't laugh, Do they come with directions?

I once got letters for taking a meter reading course at a local university.
Three days for $850.00

nobody is going to laugh, your not born with knowledge, Im still in the learning curve with mine...

growler

buckofdurham said:
I've got a better call back scenario.
(This was not your install)
What if you get a call that the kitchen light(s) are not working.

If this was not your install was it installed recently, is it covered by the warranty of another contractor.

You really haven't done anything so far so if it's covered by the warranty of another contractor I would give them a chance to honer the warranty.

The resaon I say this is because the repair of this problem may take a few hours and get expensive. You know there is a fault in the kitchen circuit even if it works on a regular breaker and who's to say the bedroom circuit will work properly when it's protected by an AFCI breaker.

If it's covered by warranty I would let the electrician that did the work make it right. I don't like to void someone's warranty. If I mess with the wiring they may void the warranty on the whole job.

Buck Parrish

growler said:
If this was not your install was it installed recently, is it covered by the warranty of another contractor.

You really haven't done anything so far so if it's covered by the warranty of another contractor I would give them a chance to honer the warranty.

The resaon I say this is because the repair of this problem may take a few hours and get expensive. You know there is a fault in the kitchen circuit even if it works on a regular breaker and who's to say the bedroom circuit will work properly when it's protected by an AFCI breaker.

If it's covered by warranty I would let the electrician that did the work make it right. I don't like to void someone's warranty. If I mess with the wiring they may void the warranty on the whole job.

Yes, I like that. plus I am swamped this week. The house is only two years old. She has three way's not working. The panel marked wrong.
I'll send her the check back.
I'm still going to get a megger

bobbyho

If the house is only 2 years old and it is on a afci. Make sure the neutral is not touching a ground wire. That will trip it everytime. The 1st time I saw that in a house with backstabbed devices and the devices were not wrapped in tape, it took a little time tofind. Second time I saw it, I knew what I was looking for when I saw it wasn't a short.

powerslave

EEC said:
Customer says light fixture they supplied is not working properly. This complaint came a few weeks after installation. What is the contractor (me) to do about it?

Over the phone make sure there are no pull chains or other switches directly on the fixture. We installed a customer supplied hanging kitchen fixture and I got a call back on it. It had a "twist" switch on it that would turn different lights on and off. The homeowner called and said out of four bulbs only two worked, opposite of each other. It sounded familiar to me and I asked her to look for a switch. Sure enough she found the switch and when she turned it the other bulbs lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.