Cameras

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Cameras

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJ0906

How many of you carry cameras on the job?

And what kind of things do you use them for? Documenting change orders, conflicts with other subs, etc.

mdshunk

I carry one on the truck most days, and I use it for anything I think I'll need "proof" for, or when I need to cover my own butt. Sometimes, I'll just take a picture of some particular feature seldom or never seen by me before, because it's bound to come up in a discussion at some point on the 'net.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Clarification question: If I own the company, is that personal or company-supplied? I ask because "company-supplied" implies someone else paid for it.

I have both a real camera and a cell-phone camera. Needless to say, the real camera takes better pix. They're company-paid, but I won them; thus the question.

SiddMartin

I keep mine in the truck, just started and already has proved very use full. I would suggest any lead electrician have access to one

iwire

Staff member
mdshunk said:
I carry one on the truck most days, and I use it for anything I think I'll need "proof" for, or when I need to cover my own butt.

Same here, today we poured a housekeeping pad on a job without any real specifications but I still wanted evidence I doweled it to the existing slab and installed reenforcement mesh so I took a few shots.

mdshunk

SiddMartin said:
I would suggest any lead electrician have access to one
I would too. Ninety percent of the time, the pictures won't be needed. For the 10% of the time when you will need the pics, you darned well better be taking them. It's hard to pin down exactly what warrants a picture, but anything an experienced man sees as potentially ever causing conflict or question in the future better have a few pictures taken of the situation. Probably ought to have some notes on a note pad related to those pictures too.

mdshunk

hey_poolboy said:
I use mine for proof, and for helping to find those buried boxes the drywall guy forgot.:grin:
My camera has a video function. It's not the greatest quality, but pretty good to just walk around with after the rough-in, to document box locations. Quicker than taking 100 pictures.

peter d

I have a semi-decent camera, but I have a real bear of time getting the files to upload to my computer because I am so technology illiterate, so I tell myself I want to start taking pictures of my work, but I don't for the aforementioned reason, and they cycle continues. :roll:

Edit: HELP!!!

Last edited:

peter d

mdshunk said:
The camera on your Palm is big enough to cover your butt? Wow, that's a big camera.

Have you finalized your fall schedule for the comedy tour yet Marc? I hope you'll be performing up this way sometime soon. :)

SiddMartin

mdshunk said:
I would too. Ninety percent of the time, the pictures won't be needed. For the 10% of the time when you will need the pics, you darned well better be taking them. It's hard to pin down exactly what warrants a picture, but anything an experienced man sees as potentially ever causing conflict or question in the future better have a few pictures taken of the situation. Probably ought to have some notes on a note pad related to those pictures too.

exactly

SmithBuilt

I will carry one after today.

Local Gbar branch supposedly dropped off 20 480v fused discos for a job last week. After installing about half of them we noticed we were short. Called GB and they said they would check on the order. A few minutes later they called back and said the driver took a picture of the delivery were he stacked them and there was only 14 in the pile. Apparently they take pictures of every delivery now. A good thing.

joebell

I try to keep my camera with me but everytime I bring it in the house to down load the pictures it ends up staying on my desk for a while.

Joe

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
I have used it to photograph site conditions and email them to the designers at the poco. Lets us both see the site without having to schedule a visit. Lots quicker than site plans and sketches too.

I have also used it to document connections in switch boxes instead of wire markers.

Handy to show the HO what was hiding behind their walls.

I also take portfolio pictures to show samples of my work. Works well as a mind jogger too when I verify the final device counts.

hillbilly

I 've got a small digital camera that I keep in the truck and my phone also has a camera.
I've always got it covered.
I take pictures of anything that I install underground.
And pictures of the breaker panel before the wall is closed.

I've just got to figure out how to get the pictures off my camera and on to the computer.
I know that it's easy....if you know how.:smile:
I've only owned this phone for about 2 weks.

steve

jzadroga

I carry both a still camera and a video camera. I video every wall, ceiling, duct, light, box, pipe, etc.... It really comes in handy and you can always figure out where you are looking at as you watch the video. With stills its sometimes hard to figure out what room you are looking at in the picture. Also with the video you can make verbal notes about things in the video.

The videos have actually come in more handy for the other trades that find out I have it. Several times the GC has asked me to review it to locate pipes of hvac vents. Also if they want to make changes later I can look at the video and know whats behind the walls for framing or obstacles.

From a camera with a memory card, remove the memory card, insert in the memory card reader. Wait until windows brings up the "What do you want to do box", scroll down to the last option, which should be open folder to view contents. Once the folder is open, single left click on the pictures you want and hold the "Ctrl" (control) key while pressing the "C" key, or if you want them all, single left click on one, and hold the "Ctrl" key while hitting the "A" key, then hold the "Ctrl" key while hitting the "C" key. Now, open the folder where you want to store the pictures on your computer. In the big open white area to the right of the bar on the left, right click and select paste. Now, your pictures are on your computer.
If your camera is direct connect, plug the cable into the camera, and wait until windows opens the box, then, follow the steps above.

Status
Not open for further replies.