Can class B contractor sign off on hours?

YungSparky

Occupation
Apprentice Electrician
According to some other threads on here, it seems that a Class B contractor can hire non-certified people to do electrical work. The labor code only explicitly requires certification (or apprenticeship or trainee status) if you're working for a C10. A GC told me the same thing ("I can hire whoever I want."). It seems strange, but....anyway.
My question is whether a class B could sign off on the work hours necessary to take the CA certification exam. I had one offer to hire me and let me get my hours in with him, but I don't really understand the legality. Any help would be appreciated.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
According to some other threads on here, it seems that a Class B contractor can hire non-certified people to do electrical work. The labor code only explicitly requires certification (or apprenticeship or trainee status) if you're working for a C10. A GC told me the same thing ("I can hire whoever I want."). It seems strange, but....anyway.
My question is whether a class B could sign off on the work hours necessary to take the CA certification exam. I had one offer to hire me and let me get my hours in with him, but I don't really understand the legality. Any help would be appreciated.
My understanding is if you're working under a CA certified journeyman you can register with a apprenticeship program and pay a fee to the state and begin clocking hours towards certification.
I don't think the license of the employer matters, you could be a employee of the state , a large factory , a solar company for example. There are employers that have a certified electrician on staff but don't hold a C10. But most jobs you'll find are with a C10.
As long as they keep the general B loop hole open you could do electrical work your entire career under a general B and never get certified, but you wont gain credit for those hours.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
My understanding is if you're working under a CA certified journeyman you can register with a apprenticeship program and pay a fee to the state and begin clocking hours towards certification.
I don't think the license of the employer matters, you could be a employee of the state , a large factory , a solar company for example. There are employers that have a certified electrician on staff but don't hold a C10. But most jobs you'll find are with a C10.
As long as they keep the general B loop hole open you could do electrical work your entire career under a general B and never get certified, but you wont gain credit for those hours.
The C10 license matters in that C10s are required to have all electrical work done by only journeyman, or journeyman with apprentices at ratio of no less than 1:1. Otherwise I believe you are correct. But good luck finding a journeyman who is not working for a C-10. And as far as OP goes, regardless of what the law says, I'm pretty sure DIR isn't accepting applications that are signed off by a B. But I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
You must be enrolled in a structured apprenticeship program that is approved by the State of California.

Attachments

• SoCal Pre Apprenticeship Program.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Electrical Industry Construction Training Criteria (Residential).pdf
    102.3 KB · Views: 1

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The C10 license matters in that C10s are required to have all electrical work done by only journeyman, or journeyman with apprentices at ratio of no less than 1:1. Otherwise I believe you are correct. But good luck finding a journeyman who is not working for a C-10.
I think @Jpflex was or is in a program and working under a journeyman at a mine, but yeah its rare cases not working for a C10, large factory's , government agencies, a mine, or a general B that happens to employ a certified J man I am sure they exist.
And as far as OP goes, regardless of what the law says, I'm pretty sure DIR isn't accepting applications that are signed off by a B.
I think you have to be in a program first, then certified J man signs off on the hours, or perhaps you get the acutal time verified by your HR person the the certified J man verifies experience categories.