can i downsize wire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalspike

Have a job. It was commercial building, now they make it as a residential.
I'm running new wire from disconnect at the basement to the panel at 12 floor. Dropping riser thru old shaft to basement and across basement to "electrical room" aprox. 250 feet. I got a engineer drawing specify 3PH 100AMP 4 sets of 1/0 wire. Because they don't have a enough gas there, Engineer specify 2 electric water heaters 6000W non-simulataneous operation(i'm not sure if this will work for residential). After last meeting they want to upgrade services to 3PH 200AMP. After approved price i went to order MC wire 4 sets of 4/0 to drop riser to basement and in the basement i will use pipe. I got call from my contractor that engineer don't want to go with 200 Amp now, He just want upsize it to 3PH 125Amp now witch is a 1/0 wire. Can i drop my 4/0 riser to basement and downsize wire to 1/0?

Have a job. It was commercial building, now they make it as a residential.
I'm running new wire from disconnect at the basement to the panel at 12 floor. Dropping riser thru old shaft to basement and across basement to "electrical room" aprox. 250 feet. I got a engineer drawing specify 3PH 100AMP 4 sets of 1/0 wire. Because they don't have a enough gas there, Engineer specify 2 electric water heaters 6000W non-simulataneous operation(i'm not sure if this will work for residential). After last meeting they want to upgrade services to 3PH 200AMP. After approved price i went to order MC wire 4 sets of 4/0 to drop riser to basement and in the basement i will use pipe. I got call from my contractor that engineer don't want to go with 200 Amp now, He just want upsize it to 3PH 125Amp now witch is a 1/0 wire. Can i drop my 4/0 riser to basement and downsize wire to 1/0?

I am a bit unclear as to the overall scope but keep in mind you cant use the "residential wire sizes" (310.15(B)(7)) for three phase services and feeders. Also watch out when using cable wiring methods that are larger than necessary as you may need to increase your EGC size.

Status
Not open for further replies.