Can I land GEC in isolated ground bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimWA

Dear Users,
Can I land my #6 solid GEC in an isolated bonded ground bar in the first-disconnect panel (image attached)? Or must it land in the bonded grounding (neutral) bus only? Not finding specific GEC stipulation either way.

If the neutral bus only, could I still leave the GEC where it is and install #4 bonding jumper between the two busses?

Attachments

• GEC.png
    GEC.png
    902.5 KB · Views: 49

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
It should reach the neutral bar on the left. The GEC can carry some current and you wouldn't want that through the can that the equipment ground bar is bonded to. Then it may be best to run another #6 from the ground rod with an additional acorn. If the other ground rod is on the other side of the h frame it might not be that har to come from that one to the other panel.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
But the I believe the OP has the option to remove the MBJ screw and install a wire-type MBJ from the neutral bus to the grounding bus, and then 250.24(A)(4) allows the GEC to connect to the grounding bus rather than the neutral bus.

Cheers, Wayne

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But the I believe the OP has the option to remove the MBJ screw and install a wire-type MBJ from the neutral bus to the grounding bus, and then 250.24(A)(4) allows the GEC to connect to the grounding bus rather than the neutral bus.

Cheers, Wayne
That is correct. If the MBJ is a wire or busbar then the GEC can connect to the EGC bus. You would remove the green screw. {250.24(A)(4)}

Status
Not open for further replies.