Can I run 2 panels off the same main breaker? Or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys. Like I said, I'm waiting on this 400 amp dual 200 amp meter combo. I'm just trying to plan ahead here and noticed the existing SER may be too short depending on which dual meter box I get because of the way the knockouts are setup on either meter box. If I go with the U4142-XT-LIS(no diconnects), all should be good since I can use the existing outside disconnect. If I went with the U4302-X-LIS(with disconnects), I may have to extend the existing SER. My question is, is it code compliant to extend SER inside a meter enclosure, or any type of wire for that matter?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Hey guys. Like I said, I'm waiting on this 400 amp dual 200 amp meter combo. I'm just trying to plan ahead here and noticed the existing SER may be too short depending on which dual meter box I get because of the way the knockouts are setup on either meter box. If I go with the U4142-XT-LIS(no diconnects), all should be good since I can use the existing outside disconnect. If I went with the U4302-X-LIS(with disconnects), I may have to extend the existing SER. My question is, is it code compliant to extend SER inside a meter enclosure, or any type of wire for that matter?

Thanks
What makes you think it wouldn't be outside of some POCO rules or some AHJ that has no clue? NEC has nothing that would prohibit this, yet never specifically gives that exact situation and a blessing to do so either.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
What makes you think it wouldn't be outside of some POCO rules or some AHJ that has no clue? NEC has nothing that would prohibit this, yet never specifically gives that exact situation and a blessing to do so either.
Idk. I actually called the local power company and they said no splices inside meter enclosure. They are known to be a pain in the a$$ though. I really don't understand what the problem is.

I have another question please. I was thinking just to leave the existing meter and disconnect alone and just running an entirely separate meter next to it with a second set of underground 4/O. Does anyone know if this is allowed, or do all meters need to be within the same enclosure?

kwired

Electron manager
Idk. I actually called the local power company and they said no splices inside meter enclosure. They are known to be a pain in the a$$ though. I really don't understand what the problem is.

I have another question please. I was thinking just to leave the existing meter and disconnect alone and just running an entirely separate meter next to it with a second set of underground 4/O. Does anyone know if this is allowed, or do all meters need to be within the same enclosure?
I don't see a problem either, but with a POCO you often stuck with follow their rules or they won't energize you.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
I don't see a problem either, but with a POCO you often stuck with follow their rules or they won't energize you.
So basically I asked them about leaving the one 200a service alone and just running another 200a service beside it with its own riser and separate meter(not in the same enclosure. They said no. They said both underground sets of 4/O need to come up in the same riser to a trough and then I can split with 2 meters off the trough.

I mean I get that this is usually the standard way of doing it if you're not doing a mutiposition meter box, but I really didn't see the big deal for it to be approved the other way.

So now that brings me to a question if you can help. What kind of trough size is usually used for this situation? I actually have never had to use one. I've always used the multiposition boxes. Are the feeds simply spliced with polaris taps and folded in, or should I get/do they have a trough with lugs? What about grounding?

Thanks.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Many of the AHJs I have dealt with are very finicky about what they will allow in their meter enclosures.

kwired

Electron manager
So basically I asked them about leaving the one 200a service alone and just running another 200a service beside it with its own riser and separate meter(not in the same enclosure. They said no. They said both underground sets of 4/O need to come up in the same riser to a trough and then I can split with 2 meters off the trough.

I mean I get that this is usually the standard way of doing it if you're not doing a mutiposition meter box, but I really didn't see the big deal for it to be approved the other way.

So now that brings me to a question if you can help. What kind of trough size is usually used for this situation? I actually have never had to use one. I've always used the multiposition boxes. Are the feeds simply spliced with polaris taps and folded in, or should I get/do they have a trough with lugs? What about grounding?

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with what you wanted to do NEC wise.

Like I said sometimes POCO's want it their way even if code allows otherwise.

One advantage of what they want, I presume they are wanting those supply conductors connected together to make them parallel to one another, is that setup very well will lessen voltage drop

ggunn

Occupation
Nothing wrong with what you wanted to do NEC wise.

Like I said sometimes POCO's want it their way even if code allows otherwise.

One advantage of what they want, I presume they are wanting those supply conductors connected together to make them parallel to one another, is that setup very well will lessen voltage drop
I'm not sure what you are saying, but parallel conductors, in addition to some other stuff, must be connected to each other on both ends.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
Many of the AHJs I have dealt with are very finicky about what they will allow in their meter enclosures.
I wish since they consider it "their" meter enclosure, that they would pay for it too...LOL. Around here, that's on us. So just to eliminate all the bull with them, I went ahead and spent the $700 on a 2-gang meter. More money than doing a trough, but less hassle and looks neater for a few more bucks. Oh well.

JohnDS

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure what you are saying, but parallel conductors, in addition to some other stuff, must be connected to each other on both ends.
Hey, I just want to chine in on your response to KWired. I'm not challenging what you're saying, but just trying to understand your point. When you say "must", according to whom, NEC?

If a neighbor next door to me had a single 200amp service that was fed the exact same way with 4/O, how would this be any different than me running a second set of 4/O to a meter completely independent of the one I have, right next to it? This is why I don't agree with the power company saying no to me doing it this way. Everyone's service is in parallel, no? I just don't see the difference here, except the fact of the power company beating their chest, because they can.

ggunn

Occupation
Hey, I just want to chine in on your response to KWired. I'm not challenging what you're saying, but just trying to understand your point. When you say "must", according to whom, NEC?

If a neighbor next door to me had a single 200amp service that was fed the exact same way with 4/O, how would this be any different than me running a second set of 4/O to a meter completely independent of the one I have, right next to it? This is why I don't agree with the power company saying no to me doing it this way. Everyone's service is in parallel, no? I just don't see the difference here, except the fact of the power company beating their chest, because they can.
I am referring to the definition of parallel conductors per 310.10(G).

Status
Not open for further replies.