Can I use sheet metal screws to put a panel cover on?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Can I use sheet metal screws to put a panel cover on?

• Only the manufactures supplied hardware?

Votes: 78 40.8%
  • Any short machine screw that fits?

Votes: 88 46.1%
  • Sheet-metal screws?

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Tek-Screws?

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Nail it on with Ramset?

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Why would I put the cover on?

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

You do not see it because that is not what I wanted to know. :)

My question is what screws are we allowed to use by the NEC, not what screws does 480 feel we should use.

I was taught if it holds the cover its ok BUT...... the HUB had to be machine threads.

480sparky

................My question is what screws are we allowed to use by the NEC, not what screws does 480 feel we should use.

I think you misinterpreted that.

It's not about what I feel everyone should use. It's about what the NEC, UL, etc. say we should use.

I can use anything. I should use what they say to.

mivey

It's not about what I feel everyone should use. It's about what the NEC, UL, etc. say we should use.

But he was wanting to know what the NEC wants you to use, not what you want you to use.

iwire

Staff member

My question is what will the NEC allow me to use and not allow me to use, it has nothing to do with 'should'.

iwire

Staff member
Could I use either of these to put the cover on?

Self-Drilling-Screwb.jpg

Cavie

I have turned down many jobs for sheet metal screws. There are machine threads in the panel. They get machine thead screws installed.

iwire

Staff member
The bosses section. He stated 110.3 (A) (2)

.....Parts designed to enclose and protect........

Not following you.

The same reason you cannot use sheet metal screws to install a lug in a panel.

No not the same at all, there is a specific code section that prevents the use of a sheet metal screw for grounding. I have to imagine they added that section because no other section prevented it.:)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Added: I'd have to say that it's not specified, but if I had to nake the decision, I'd say factory or equivalent. So, B.

I have turned down many jobs for sheet metal screws. There are machine threads in the panel. They get machine thead screws installed.
Typically, for most panels without captive hardware, the cover screws form the threads the first time they're installed.

I rarely see factory-threaded holes like the ones troughs and wireways usually come with for their covers.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Don't have my book handy, but I don't think code specifies. I remember working lsots of WH/Cutler Hammer Powerline panels with the spring clips on the can, 1/4 x 20 bolts and cone washers. Clips were terrible for breaking. I fixed that by placing 1/4 x 20 nut in the space and packing epoxy putty (coldweld) around it. Let it dry a few hours and that worked well.

I keep extra SqD cover screws in my stuff, can usually find them now at Big Blue or Big Orange. Strangely, supply houses often don't have them around here. I've often used ground screws too, as someone else mentioned. Main thing is keep them short and blunt tipped. I'd also like to see panels made with shielding around the screws. Would eliminate any possibility of a problem.

I've also sometimes ripped out cover clamps and drilled/tapped for screws. I have nothing good to say about clamps. Nothing but trouble and I've seen them pinch wires more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.