Can you mix Fire Alarm with Nurse Call in the same box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie07

Occupation
PM
Wondering if anyone knows the code for this situation

I have an existing fire alarm running though my nurse call box. Is this allowed?

if not, does anyone know where i can find this in the code book?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Nurse call is typically an Art 725 class 3 circuit.
725.136 discusses separation from various other systems, including non power limited fire alarm.
I think your answer is in 725.139 (E) Class 3 cables with other circuit cables, including power limited fire alarm.
Hows that?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Wondering if anyone knows the code for this situation

I have an existing fire alarm running though my nurse call box. Is this allowed?

if not, does anyone know where i can find this in the code book?
Most likely yes, as Tom points out, as long as the FA system is power-limited. The vast majority of fire alarm systems installed are power limited. The only non-power limited portions MIGHT be some of the speaker zones. Detection and control will be power limited.

Jamie07

Occupation
PM
Nurse call is typically an Art 725 class 3 circuit.
725.136 discusses separation from various other systems, including non power limited fire alarm.
I think your answer is in 725.139 (E) Class 3 cables with other circuit cables, including power limited fire alarm.
Hows that?
Thank you, I forgot to mention that this is a hospital. Does that make a difference?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
From a strict code perspective, being a hospital wouldn't affect whether or note you can mix those cables. However, in many states there are commissions or panels that have oversight authority for health care facilities. In NJ, it's the Joint Commission. They can, and do, require things that go above and beyond code. You would have to contact them to see if this is one of those instances.

ismaelyork

New User
Occupation
Mathematical Science Teacher, Postsecondary
Are there different requirements for different states or does there exist one universal requirement for that? Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Each state that adopts the NEC typically will have modifications, for example in WA emergency systems use orange, not red for identification. Some cities do their own adoption and enforcement of the NEC, often their rules are more strict than the code. For example Aberdeen WA, near salt water, does not allow aluminum wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.