Can you settle on argument on a panel?

Thorguy57

New User
Occupation
I&E tech
Okay guys. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this panel on if the grounds and neutrals are supposed to be bonded. One of us is saying it’s technically considered a sub panel and the grounds and neutrals are supposed to be separated by the breakers since it is after the main breaker in the cabinet beside the meter base. The other one is saying it is considered a main panel and doesn’t need the grounds and neutrals separated up by the breakers.

By the way, I have been lurking around here awhile but never joined. I do more work on the control side of things these days.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Okay guys. Just wondering what your thoughts were on this panel on if the grounds and neutrals are supposed to be bonded. One of us is saying it’s technically considered a sub panel and the grounds and neutrals are supposed to be separated by the breakers since it is after the main breaker in the cabinet beside the meter base. The other one is saying it is considered a main panel and doesn’t need the grounds and neutrals separated up by the breakers.

By the way, I have been lurking around here awhile but never joined. I do more work on the control side of things these days.

We will need clarification of exactly what your setup is. If you have a separate meter socket and then a separate MB and then to separate panel then the main bonding jumper is at the main breaker enclosure and only there. If you have a meter/main combo in one enclosure then it is factory bonded and anything down stream cannot have a bond.
You cannot bond neutral to ground at any point downstream other than the enclosure where the service disconnect is.