Can you support exit signs like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

I see this all the time where an exit sign's last support is at a ceiling mounted junction box. EMT is not supported either.

Is this allowed?

Attachments

• Exit Sign.jpg
    Exit Sign.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103

norcal

If mc is secured to the jack chain as well it could be stable enough. 1/4 inch rod instead of chain and then its 100% good to go.
But it is not permitted to use solid conductors to supply chain supported lighting fixtures, has to be stranded.

Sea Nile

Occupation
Electrician
Did they drill a hole in the 4 square box cover for the fitting? Or do they make box cover plates with knock outs?

I think it would be more secure if they rotated the box 90 degrees and use a side knock out. Plus you would still be able to take the cover off without taking the exit sign down.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Did they drill a hole in the 4 square box cover for the fitting? Or do they make box cover plates with knock outs?

I think it would be more secure if they rotated the box 90 degrees and use a side knock out. Plus you would still be able to take the cover off without taking the exit sign down.
They also make a fixture swivel cover

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Its not? The section it is in says "Wiring of Luminare's" and the things in it seems to be things that a manufacturer of a luminare would need to follow. And I think the code reference is 410.56(E). It does seem like a good idea though to use stranded on a chain supporting a fixture.

kwired

Electron manager
Is an "exit sign" a luminaire covered by art 410 or is it a sign covered by art 600?

I did a little looking and haven't found anything yet in either article that mentions exit signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.