Can you use an existing panelboard as a pullbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
A panelboard is normally a dead front enclosure (opening the door doesn't provide access to any hot bus work, wires, or terminations.

With the original door left in place, it's no longer a dead front, so in this case, I would agree with Russ - "it could be considered a violation". (Notice he didn't say it was a violation, just that some might consider it a violation).

What does it take to fix it could be debated. One screw in the front (which someone mentioned earlier) might be enough. Most would probably accept a regular bolt on cover to be a suitable conversion to a junction box.

There are other enclosures that are not specifically designed for panelboard containment that have covers that open easily without use of tools, why are they any different when it comes to easily opening and being exposed to what might be inside?

I agree with Roger. You are not using the enclosure as something other than an enclosure. I usually seal them with a screw on the side to prevent easy access.

I would like to see more pictures of this installation. It appears to be a 3R enclosure with piping out of the top. Is this in a wet location?
I have seen the wood block used in many enclosures, and have yet to see any sign of burning. It does not seem to say quality workmanship wherever I see them, and I doubt that they are listed for that use.

Status
Not open for further replies.