Can you use an existing panelboard as a pullbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

For a decommissioned panelboard and if the guts are removed, can you use this cabinet as a pullbox? Came across an article in EC&M and Russ LeBlanc says it violates 110.3(B) but I've seen this done before.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am sure someone would turn it down but IMO there should be no reason that you can't use it as a splice box. Heck, if you left the guts in and made a splice it is compliant so why wouldn't it be if the guts are removed

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
For a decommissioned panelboard and if the guts are removed, can you use this cabinet as a pullbox? Came across an article in EC&M and Russ LeBlanc says it violates 110.3(B) but I've seen this done before.
Sure you can and Russ is incorrect. A panelboard or load center cabinet is simply that and used with a proper cover it becomes a Jbox. I would like for Russ to give us an example of a real written instruction that would apply.

Roger

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I agree with Roger. You are not using the enclosure as something other than an enclosure. I usually seal them with a screw on the side to prevent easy access.

I can tell you don't trust the twist-ons! Hoping for gravity to work better?? :p

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Sure you can and Russ is incorrect. A panelboard or load center cabinet is simply that and used with a proper cover it becomes a Jbox. I would like for Russ to give us an example of a real written instruction that would apply.

Roger

I would like for Russ to find another job. This is not the first time he has put a blatant mistake into print in that major electrical publication.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The "box" is by NEC definition a cabinet, splices are permitted in a cabinet. The panelboard is the actual assembly that holds the bus bars and the circuit breakers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would like for Russ to find another job. This is not the first time he has put a blatant mistake into print in that major electrical publication.

:thumbsup:

And many believe his opinions based on the fact that he is being published in an advertisement mag. :roll:

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
My subscription to EC&M expired, I didn't renew as the magazine had no content. When I first started to subscribe in the 1980s it had great articles on maintenance. Russ Leblancs articles are not that great.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I don't think that EC&M has their articles peer reviewed. What ever the author writes, that's what they print.
Yeah, I'm laying some of the blame on EC&M

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm not sure what he is trying to say but I agree that the 2x4 and the reason it is used is a problem.

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Wires can start arcing and cause 2x4's to ignite on any given project on any given day.

As far as using an abandoned panel as a junction box, I've done it also.

Many times there's no good way around it,.

I will have to admit, even though I've done it, it still seems cheesy to me in the end.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
art 100 definition:
[h=5]Cabinet.[/h]
An enclosure that is designed for either surface mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame, mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can be hung.

It is basically an enclosure designed for a specific purpose, most are built to same base specs as a pull/junction box but have provisions to mount specific equipment inside and likely have somewhat unique doors/trims compared to a general use pull/junction box to go with what is mounted inside.

Any listing isn't a general listing associated with the cabinet itself, it is a listing of the complete assembly and contents it is designed to work with.

I too have disagreements with content at times that has been published in EC&M. Probably haven't read anything from them in at least 10 maybe even 15 years so it has been at least that long ago that I decided they are not worth reading anymore. My dislike especially increased when I once submitted a photo with code violations I came across in it. They published it, but changed my story to say that an inspector approved the installation, then I get a message from chief inspector wanting to know which one of his guys approved that - Um, it was just something I came across that I am pretty certain was never inspected...especially knowing history of occupants of the building and time frame it was likely done that chance was pretty slim.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
A panelboard is normally a dead front enclosure (opening the door doesn't provide access to any hot bus work, wires, or terminations.

With the original door left in place, it's no longer a dead front, so in this case, I would agree with Russ - "it could be considered a violation". (Notice he didn't say it was a violation, just that some might consider it a violation).

What does it take to fix it could be debated. One screw in the front (which someone mentioned earlier) might be enough. Most would probably accept a regular bolt on cover to be a suitable conversion to a junction box.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know this has been mentioned but I'll reiterate - the cover should be able to be kept closed (i.e. with a screw or other means) and ALL the KO's have to be sealed. That said, I would like to add that the metal cabinet has to be grounded and the neutrals should be spliced independently by circuit and not bonded to the enclosure (I know that seems basic). Now, not to throw a wrench into things (and I'm not trying to pirate this thread) how should the grounds be treated ? Should they all be wire-nutted together or would it be Code compliant to land them all on the existing ground bar in the cabinet ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Should they all be wire-nutted together or would it be Code compliant to land them all on the existing ground bar in the cabinet ?
Either way assuming the wire nut is the correct size. I have installed ground bars in many junction boxes

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.