Canada control panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have a customer who wants to convert a pilot plant from US standards to Canadian standards so it can be shipped to a potential Canadian customer.

Does Canada accept UL508a? I thought it had to be CSA 22 something.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
We have a customer who wants to convert a pilot plant from US standards to Canadian standards so it can be shipped to a potential Canadian customer.

Does Canada accept UL508a? I thought it had to be CSA 22 something.
Its 2022 UL508A is long dead in my opinion.
There is no law in the US that mandates the use of of UL 508A, but laws in other markets mandate the use of IEC 60204-1.
If you comply with CSA 22 it seems like you'll meet IEC 60204-1 (EU - UK - AU market) and UL 508A, so why would anyone bother with 508A anymore? CSA seems like a win win.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Bob,
Talk to your UL rep. You can add a cUL listing to your 508A program, making you compliant to CSA standards and cUL is acceptable in Canada. There is very little that is different, it’s mostly differences in grounding requirements. When I had my panel shop 20 years ago, the added listing capability cost me $1,000 plus another inspection fee. I’m sure it has gone up, but is not likely an unbearable cost.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Bob,
Talk to your UL rep. You can add a cUL listing to your 508A program, making you compliant to CSA standards and cUL is acceptable in Canada. There is very little that is different, it’s mostly differences in grounding requirements. When I had my panel shop 20 years ago, the added listing capability cost me $1,000 plus another inspection fee. I’m sure it has gone up, but is not likely an unbearable cost.
I am told the cul sticker is something we are allowed to apply. It's not real clear what differences there are if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.